Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Roller rockers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Roller rockers
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was thinking about putting on some 1.70 roller rocker arms on my 87 5.0. I heard these were a good mod for the money, are these something that could be also be used when i get alum. heads or will i have to buy new ones when i do? I also wanted to ask what is the diff. between 1.70 and 1.72 whats better? Whats a good company to get them from?
--Thanks--

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1.7's are a good mod. They will give you some more valve lift w/o changing the cam. The diff between 1.7's and 1.72's is that 1.72's give you more valve lift.

You may not be able to re-use your rockers if you get new heads. It depends on what type of rockers your new heads use.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see, so should i invest in the 1.72's? Whats a good brand?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have Comp Pro Magnum Roller Rockers that are made of steel, not aluminum.

The problem is that the ones for stock heads are pedestal mount and the ones for after market heads are stud mount.

If you buy rockers for stock heads they won't work for after market heads.

TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also, be careful to make sure 1.7 or 1.72 rockers will not have interfearance problems.
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by TrickRacer50:
Also, be careful to make sure 1.7 or 1.72 rockers will not have interfearance problems.

What Kind of problems like having the stock valve covers?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd STONGLY suggest you get the FMS blue RR's. Depending on the heads you get you ABSOLUTELY CAN re-use them. Some heads allow you to, some do not. I have aluminum Edelbrocks which did allow me to re-use my RR's.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

FMS Blue 1.7's? How much do they go for?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302:
FMS Blue 1.7's? How much do they go for?

New, $340.

Cranes etc are less expensive, BUT FOR A REASON.

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have stock original valve springs w/ high mileage, the rockers may not help at all. My '92 w/ 110k miles had NO power difference after putting them on due to a valve float problem right at 5300rpm. Dyno tested before and after.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Really so it might not even be worth it. But would the stock valve covers be a problem?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

So your saying that there was no power gain because you had I problem? I have a high milage motor but ut has no problems do you think it would be worth it?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have a high mileage motor you might think about rebuilding it. All the mods you do will yield that much more power on a fresh block.

If not a fresh block, you may check into rebuilding the heads with some stronger springs.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1.7R Pedestal mount rockers wouldn't do much on a high-mileage stock motored head.

Save up for some pullies, a better intake manifold, or some gears instead.

TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

quote:
Originally posted by ShiftyGT:
If not a fresh block, you may check into rebuilding the heads with some stronger springs.

Rebuilding the heads is not worth doing alone. If you put new or rebuilt heads on an old short block the car will start to burn oil.

You may have to remove the baffle in your stock valve covers to make the new RR's work. Also check clearance to make sure the vales do not hit the pistons.

I think gears would be a better choice if you do not have them.

Also, it is a waist of money to buy parts for a future engine unless you know EXACTLY what you will be building. IMHE

The cam in my stroker will not work with 1.7RR's and rthe heads require stud mount rockers as well.

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:

Sounds more along the lines of what you are looking for [patriot]

--------------------

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put an intake and t/b on there
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:

Sounds more along the lines of what you are looking for [patriot]
I already have gears and pullies. An intake doesn't sound like a bad idea though.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
put an intake and t/b on there

Thats probably what i'll do.

[ January 18, 2006, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: PWR HNGRY 302 ]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com