Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Messed up Rockers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Messed up Rockers
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am still shy of the 500 mile mark on my new engine, but already i have run into a problem. When driving the other day it started making a loud ticking noise in the driver side head. I had always intended to pull the covers because the valve train seemed to be a little noisy to me. I just pulled the cover and saw that 2 of my rockers had slipped off of the valve stem and were riding on the metal to the side of the roller!

Does anyone know why they would come off like this? Im almost sure they were cranked down fully. Could this have caused any further damage??

Any help would be great!

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

stangnut
¯
Member # 5937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangnut  Ford pictures for stangnut    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bent those two push rods for sure and hard to tell if the rockers are damaged unless u got pic,s? there is a top an bottom to the inside swivel in roller rockers maybe bad rocker arm geometry side to side? take some pics ull get better answers.
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
delete

[ January 10, 2006, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: ShiftyGT ]

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

One more try at that pic...

-

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Heres a few more pics...

Anyone have a words of wisdom??

-

-

It does not look like the rods are bent...
Why would the rockers slip off the valves like this??

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That last picture I can't tell, it looks like they are stud mounts, if so, you have guideplates right?
stangnut
¯
Member # 5937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangnut  Ford pictures for stangnut    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you roll the push rods on somethin hella flat an see how they roll .if they lurch consistantly there bent .if they roll smooth there cool.an those rockers are in ok shape too. do you see that other rocker arm thats bolted up in the last picture its sideways two. if you look at the roller tip on your rocker arms that are still bolted on your heads look an see if they are center with the top of your valve stem. if they are not center at high rpms they tend to walk side to side an if there already a little crooked its like what u got.or look in side the rocker arm u have off,u see the center of it? now roll just the center of it with your finger you see the side that is flat with the hole in the middle that is the side that the bolt goes through. the other side is round, so to fit in the slot of the base to keep from turning.maybe u had those upside down an they didnt stay strait?or some times those bolts are overtightend and those curved half moons get flatend an they can't stay strait then ethier.call if got questions? 707 554 4988.
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rob [5LVENOM]:
That last picture I can't tell, it looks like they are stud mounts, if so, you have guideplates right?

x2, you need guideplates dude

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those look like pedestal mount to me. You are probably missing parts or the rockers are installed wrong...either will result in rockers that can mover side to side and thats what happened to that one, but also a lot of others in your pic.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heads look like GT40 irons. Did you re-install the bridges between the rockers (from your stock rockers)? If you didn't, this caused the problem. If you did, you just didn't tighten them enough.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

I did have the bridges or guide plates installed, (i assume those are the same thing). I was talking with another board member last night and we thought that the thickness of the guideplate could have raised the rocker up enough so that at high RPM the roller was able to slip off the side of the valve stem.

Does this setup have to use the guides? or could they be causing the problem??

To clarify, this is pedestal mount, not stud.
and the heads are GT40 iron

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

two more pics that might help... sorry they are so small

-

-

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The bridges go under the pedestal mounts. They point the rocker pairs and keep the pedestals from turning. It looks like they are installed. Any idea what you torqued the bolts to?

Edit: no, you do not need guide plates.

[ January 11, 2006, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Think i torqued them to 25lbs

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are the trunions(the thing that spins that the bolt goes through) upside down?

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

No, they are not upsidedown... rounded part goes to the pedestal mount, and the bolt head snugs up to the flat portion. I would shoot myself if i mixed that up.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com