Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Looking at a 1996 Cobra tomorrow.. need some advice.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking at a 1996 Cobra tomorrow.. need some advice.
ilya
¯
Member # 6164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilya  Ford pictures for ilya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello all,

I will be looking at a pristine-looking 1996 Cobra with 61,000 miles tomorrow. It's a Mystic, and the guy is asking $11,000. What are some things I should be looking out for, specifically? Sounds, visual cues, etc.?

The car has a ZEX Smart Nitrous System that the owner swears he never used, and that is really the only part of the deal I am not 100% sure about. Otherwise, the car looks super clean, has low miles, and has a few nice mods (catback, short shifter, suspension stuff).

Anyway, please give me some advice.

Thanks.

03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont know if there is a way to tell if the nitrous was used but why would you install and not use it.. make sure the car sounds strong and test drive it and if he has any maintanance records ask to look at them. well thats what i do. by any chance is this the one on craigslist?

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have the guy take it to a reputable shop and have them do a compression and leakdown as well as a look at the undercarriage. See if he will let you take it.... just a thought.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

ilya
¯
Member # 6164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilya  Ford pictures for ilya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys.. he says he says a TON of records and that he is very meticulous with the services/oil changes, etc.

Yes, this is the one on Craigslist. [Smile]

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since the guy had nitrous.. take it to a shop AND get a

COMPRESSION TEST
COMPRESSION TEST
COMPRESSION TEST
COMPRESSION TEST
COMPRESSION TEST
COMPRESSION TEST
COMPRESSION TEST
COMPRESSION TEST

The 98 and below modular engines do not hold up as well as the 99+. Make sure you take it to a shop who knows what they are doing when they are testing it.

ilya
¯
Member # 6164

He claims vehemently that he never used the NOS. I called him out on it and he denied it.. but yes, I will have a complete check of the car done.

What shop do you guys recommend in the Berkeley/Albany area? What's the closest shop to that area if there isn't one there?

How much is a compression test usually?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com