Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How to I.D. GT40P heads?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to I.D. GT40P heads?
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Motor is in the car and running, how can I I.D. them from popping the hood?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it for that drop? it should say gt40p on the outside of the head if i remember also look at the spark plug angle there are different on gt-40p heads then others
crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the outside of my heads only say GT. how can i tell which ones they are by the spark plug angle?

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can try feeling the back of the head for the 4 raised lines. 3 if they are regular gt-40's.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92coupe:
you can try feeling the back of the head for the 4 raised lines. 3 if they are regular gt-40's.

Back of the head? Sal said to look for the 4 bars on the front of the head behind the alternator? All help is appreciated.

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
off the top of my head (I'm sure google will correct me)

E7TE casting under valve covers = heh stock 87-95

F77E under valve covers = GT-40P ftw

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Don't have access to removing the valve covers, taht would be too easy.......

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:

Back of the head? Sal said to look for the 4 bars on the front of the head behind the alternator? All help is appreciated.
they were on both front and back on mine, and I think the gt40p's have GT stamped on them next to one of the headbolts at one end

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:

i may be mistaken which side the head they are on but it takes what 2-3 seconds to feel for them. probably the quickest and most definate way to tell what heads they are.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
very simple.

Look for the elevated stripes/bars on the front of the head. If they have 3 bars, they are gt40's. If they have 4 bars, they are gt40p's.

Good Luck

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Even more simple - look for the p next to the pass. side valve cover, or the GTP letters by the front lower head bolt on the same side.

-

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
Even more simple - look for the p next to the pass. side valve cover, or the GTP letters by the front lower head bolt on the same side.

-

yes but he stated the car is running,with the header,a/c lines,smog lines etc.. in the way you WILL NOT see that csting.

Easiest way is what was mentioned before and that is

4 raised casting lines GT40P
3 raised casting lines GT40

[patriot]

Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just look at the spark plug angle, it's almost perpendicular to the head

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can easily see them in the car with all the accesories. The A/C is on the other side, and the smog pump lines will not get in the way of either marking.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com