Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What Charger?...Vortech, Paxton, or Powerdyne? and Cam Questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What Charger?...Vortech, Paxton, or Powerdyne? and Cam Questions
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys...I'm going to up the car a little more...Going to put a small blower on and shoot a small shot of nitrous....Which company is better of the three...and what "Type" of cam should I get?

Car info.
93 LX Hatch
347 stroker..9:1 compression...fully forged of course
Victor 5.0 intake
Victor Jr. Heads
4.10's
Viper T-56 6-speed
all the other normal goodies
50 to 80 shot if Nitrous....Nitrous Works kit....

for 8 to 9 psi...

which charger is better?

Paxton Novi 1000
Vortech V1 / V2
Powerdyne

at exact psi..what do you guys recommend?

ALSO....What type of Cam is a better choice since I'm using Nitrous...please don't say Custom....

A Nitrous cam since I'm going to spray or a Blower cam since it'll be charged all the time....??????

just throwing this out for some opinions...no matter what I'm going top use nitrous...and not going over 10 psi because it's a good motor but not a Sportsman or Dart block so it'll still "crack" at 600 flywheel

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
Hey guys...I'm going to up the car a little more...Going to put a small blower on and shoot a small shot of nitrous....Which company is better of the three...and what "Type" of cam should I get?

Car info.
93 LX Hatch
347 stroker..9:1 compression...fully forged of course
Victor 5.0 intake
Victor Jr. Heads
4.10's
Viper T-56 6-speed
all the other normal goodies
50 to 80 shot if Nitrous....Nitrous Works kit....

for 8 to 9 psi...

which charger is better?

Paxton Novi 1000
Vortech V1 / V2
Powerdyne

at exact psi..what do you guys recommend?

ALSO....What type of Cam is a better choice since I'm using Nitrous...please don't say Custom....

A Nitrous cam since I'm going to spray or a Blower cam since it'll be charged all the time....??????

just throwing this out for some opinions...no matter what I'm going top use nitrous...and not going over 10 psi because it's a good motor but not a Sportsman or Dart block so it'll still "crack" at 600 flywheel

10 psi on that motor with no nitrous will make 600 flywheel hp, get ready to buy a new block if you really are set on boost ad nitrous

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and:

powerdyne sucks
v1 and v2sq's are uber reliable and make good power
novi 2k is a great blower, I know nothing about the 1k's

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
and:

powerdyne sucks
v1 and v2sq's are uber reliable and make good power
novi 2k is a great blower, I know nothing about the 1k's

yeha I was leaning more towards the Novi 1000 or the V2 Sq kit...with 5/6 psi....for HP aspects and small shot of nitrous to keep the torque up....

but still looking for more experiences and CAMshaft answers....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you are not going to get close to the advertised boost levels. They are based on stock 302's, you will be WAY under. You will need a big blower to have really good power, you have to spin the smaller ones too hard which will make more heat and cause less power. If you go with a NOVI get a 2000. Or if you want to make great instant power use a Kenne Bell. As for cams look for a blower specific grind somewhere in the .600" lift range.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with Vortech. Powerdyne is GARBAGE, and the Novi "1"k is VERY close to the same regard as the powerdyne.

Novi 2000 or Vortech.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote for Vortech. I like the V1's 'cause of the way they sound. Some people don't like hearing the whine but I never get tired of it [Big Grin]

I would run the 8lb pulley setup and a power pipe. Even w/o the NOS you should have plenty of torque.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fix your current problem & run N/A with that 242/248 111LSA camshaft.

I checked with Probe & the pistons you have are the same as what I run in the wife's car. The valve notches are .276 intake & .200 exhaust at the deepest spot.

The exhaust lobe on that camshaft measures .099 lobe lift at 110* centerline, installed on a 111ECL (like it should be) & lobe lift measures .096. Multiply that by 1.6 & you have roughly .160 lift at the valve at TDC during overlap. The exhaust valve on the VicJr's sits IN the chamber about .080". Add in a .041" head gasket & you should not have piston to valve clearance issues. (.080 + .041 + .200 - .160)

I tore off Heather's rockers, installed a checking spring & swapped from 1.6 to 1.72 rockers & checked piston to valve. By my calculations with her setup I should have measured .110" clearance at TDC....which it does. & at 5 BTDC where it's the closest, I measured .075. Given the lack of lifter preload in the modified lifters I run (.015"), this is plenty of clearance. Heather's heads have also been milled slightly (.006) & we run a .027" thick HG... And yet your setup should have MORE piston to valve clearance by the same calculations.

You must have screwed something up to have piston to valve issues with the camshaft you currently have. (perhaps it's not installed correctly, or you're running too much lifter preload.....hard to say)

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do you figure it's 9:1 compression?
With 60cc heads, Heather's is ~10.5:1. Valve reliefs are 4cc's with the Probe flat tops we're running, quench on her motor is .045, yours is probably not as tight, but still not enough to drop compression that much.
Are you running the 70cc VicJr's?
If so, add .060 clerance from deck to exhaust valve. (total of .080 + .060 = .140) .060 = ~10cc's.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

thx Shaun...I figured 9:1 compression because of the NEW bottom end that I'm building for it....I'm still saving the cam you gave me for when I build a Dart block...but for now I'm just going to do a quick rebuild....

I check clearance and It's not that much as Probe said..I'll measure again but it's not enough....doesn't matter anyways because I'm putting new pistons and all in to bring it down and run a little blower on it and nitrous for the time being....

Summer will be a Dart block with something else hopefully....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

rico91stang
¯
Member # 2389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rico91stang  Ford pictures for rico91stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might split the block.

--------------------
"My shit ain't stock. Shits got a cam yo."-Archie Saleen (Union city)

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Why not wait on the charger till you get a Dart? VicJr heads are amazing with boost.....you'll split the block....or at least twist it.

My old 331 TT block is in the shop right now.....turns you it's twisted & possibly cracked & I was only pushing 430/500RW.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

that's what I might end up doing...but I'm still buying the blower because of a killer deal i'm getting on it....

I'll probably end up shooting more nitrous into it until it breaks into pieces at the "track"....

but I was just searching on opinions for the bets of the the three....

and to see if anyone has ever run a nitrous or blower cam in their cars

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why worry about the cam if you're just slapping a setup together. Let the blower and nitrous do all the work. You must be getting one screaming deal on this blower/nitrous setup because you could use that towards getting things dialed in right NA and not need either. How fast are you looking to go? Hell I'll sell you the 342 in my car. Drop it in and run 122 all day. If that's not enough then hit it with the nitrous.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:
why worry about the cam if you're just slapping a setup together. Let the blower and nitrous do all the work. You must be getting one screaming deal on this blower/nitrous setup because you could use that towards getting things dialed in right NA and not need either. How fast are you looking to go? Hell I'll sell you the 342 in my car. Drop it in and run 122 all day. If that's not enough then hit it with the nitrous.

Already have the nitrous....The blower is a screaming deal..and well since it's around, I might as well use it.......right?....

as far as times or mph go....I'm looking to go 10.80's or better with a 125+ trap....with my old setup making 430/490 RW...(on the bottle) I'm sure it would have come close to that but never got a chance to get to the track thanks to Fel-Pro 1011-2's...yes yes I learned my lesson and put some Cometics on this time......I did have it dialed in pretty good N/A...Dyno time and Speedbrain helps....got it nice and flat....

That's also another reason why I'm interested in the cam combo for this setup...if it works well and is pretty reliable, I'll hold onto this motor and ptu it in my OTHER foxbody.....maybe.....

thanks for the offer on the 342...but since I'm looking towards building another motor in 6 months anyways, I might as well wait...I see you live in Woodland....same here pal....right off of Pioneer near the new Bel Air..

hit me up with a PM so we can catch each other in town sometime and talk shit...lol

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
[QB] Go with Vortech. Powerdyne is GARBAGE

[patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For your car go Vortech.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com