Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » FUCK REAR MAIN SEALS!!!!FUCK!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: FUCK REAR MAIN SEALS!!!!FUCK!!!
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since i baught a new clutch for my setup, i decided to change the pilot bearing and the rear main seal since it use to leak a little. NOw that i put it the new one, i started it up,NOw its LEaking ALOT! [Mad] you can see mad smoke when i look back from my window, i think its getting to the exhaust and burning it [Mad] i let one of my buddies do my rear main seal because i never did one before. now i got to take the whole shit out again. ANYWAYS, any body have tips into doing this? i diddnt use no type of silcone because it says not to on the paper it came with. any tool i need? FUCK im pissed! [Frown]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey. it sounds like you might have to do it again. my rear main seal was repalced twice and it leaked both times.. and now for the first time in the life of my car there are no leaks. [patriot] if you do a search under there should be a thread where someone recomends a little gasket thingy to use along with the rear mail seal. that thing has worked wonders. no leaks so far [Big Grin] .
I think JonhB recomemded it to me.. so he might know where to find it. good luck.

--------------------
=(

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
actually... i found the link.
https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mfr,FEL-PRO,Engine,5460,Main+Bearing+Repair+Sleeve
and do a search for Main bearing repair sleeve.
good luck.

--------------------
=(

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've heard that you want to be careful taking the old one out becuase you could nick the crank if you use a screw driver.

This could cause it to leak as well.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is the most dreaded seal in the entire car.

If your crank is nicked, it will leak.
If you tap it in unevenly, it will leak.
If you install it perfectly, there is a good chance it will leak, lol.

Some people have tried seal savers with mixed success. Some people have tried teflon seals with mixed success.

I will be replacing mine soon. I will

a.) make sure the crank is not grooved
b.) clean everything off very well
c.) Use a genuine Ford seal
c.) Tap in the new one (dry) with the back of the old seal and pray to the gods.

Good Luck.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:

c.) Tap in the new one (dry) with the back of the old seal and pray to the gods.

guaranteed to leak, you can't play the field with all the gods you have to be real specific and pick one [Razz]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

quick99
¯
Member # 6291

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for quick99  Ford pictures for quick99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
be sure you are putting it in correctly, two different sides. The crankmay have a groove in it also.
Posts: 103 | From: northern california | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well im putting it back in the garage, back to taking everything out [Mad] . so you cant put no silicone at all? [Confused] hey Jmir018
when i went to search it diddnt work?? i want to know what you did,fuck this shit sucks,sserously, if it leaked a little i wouldnt of cared, but when im at a stop hella white smoke comes wooshing under the car.and when im just crusing people dont like getting behind me because theres hella smoke [Mad] fuck, i just wouldnt think it would leak that much

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you have white smoke coming out your rear main seal you have some pretty serious issues!

a leaking rear main seal leaves like a couple drops of motor oil on the ground after you park it (as could a bajillion other seals)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510:
Well im putting it back in the garage, back to taking everything out [Mad] . so you cant put no silicone at all? [Confused] hey Jmir018
when i went to search it diddnt work?? i want to know what you did,fuck this shit sucks,sserously, if it leaked a little i wouldnt of cared, but when im at a stop hella white smoke comes wooshing under the car.and when im just crusing people dont like getting behind me because theres hella smoke [Mad] fuck, i just wouldnt think it would leak that much

I know exactly how you feel.. my seal started leaking like crazy on the way to the track. i was on the san mateo bridge and there was a ton of smoke.. i made it to the other side and back with barely 2 quarts left of oil. [Mad]

let me look it up..
i'll get back to you in a little while..

--------------------
=(

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

ok. it's felpro part 16250 for the repair sleeve..
and the tool needed to install it (which is a rip off, but i'd rather get it than take chances) is 16300
good luck.

--------------------
=(

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

thanks man i hella apprecite it [patriot]

--------------------

FiftyMan302
¯
Member # 3801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FiftyMan302  Ford pictures for FiftyMan302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just did my rear main oil seal,since i work at a ford dealer i ask one of the techs for advice and they told me to fill the seal with grease to hold the spring in and to clean out the hole where the seal goes in, and put silicone in it.
So it has been four days and no signs of leaks.

Posts: 87 | From: Richmond/ Fairfield | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com