Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » short shifter - shortest shift?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: short shifter - shortest shift?
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
which short shifter out there provides the shortest shift? looking to purchase a short shifter and my number one factor is the shift length.
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there's many to choose from out there.. i personally like the feel of the pro 5.0 from powertower.. other's prefer the steeda tri-ax... it's all in preference and both have really short throws.. also, you might want to look into the MGW short throw shifter, as i've heard nothing but good things about them.. there's a lot to choose out there.. here's a link to the MGW MGW good luck [patriot]

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well thats my problem. i've heard great things about all the aftermarket shifters, prolly cuz the stock one is such a pos. but ultimately i want the one with the shortest throw possible.
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its all about prefence, you can try and go to a meet and see what people have and ask to sit in the car and see how it feels for you, hopefully the owner will let you test it out and not be a ass
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
its all about prefence, you can try and go to a meet and see what people have and ask to sit in the car and see how it feels for you, hopefully the owner will let you test it out and not be a ass

Yeah, the best way is to feel for yourself. I like the pro 5.0 shifters. I have also had Hurst and that wasn't bad either. Like you said; "anything is better than stock" [Smile]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

well so far i've tried out the tri-ax and upr's shifter and they both seemed pretty nice. but by looking at pictures online at both the mgw and pro 5.0, it looks like they have much, much shorter shifts.
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got the pro 5.0-it's coo, but my brother has the B&M shifter, and it's better. A little more $, but it's worth it.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Pro 5.0 has the shortest physical throw, and was the one I used in my Mach. The MGW is a great piece too. We keep the MAC, Steeda & Pro 5.0 here at the shop, if you want, you can come down and check them all out, and see the differences.

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

04cobra408
¯
Member # 4025

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04cobra408  Ford pictures for 04cobra408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jus picked up the pro 5.0 from apex the other day. had a pro5.0 in my mach1 b4 i had the cobra,and i liked it.

--------------------
Willie Guzman
RIP lil brother
11-23-12

Juan Moya
"The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05

Posts: 1945 | From: san jose ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
droptp50
¯
Member # 5546

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for droptp50  Ford pictures for droptp50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a pro 5.0 but i wish i got the mgw with the blue handle there real nice

--------------------
91 gt vert - sold
89 lx hatch

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a B&M... Very nice shifter

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like my pro 5.0 its such a shorter throw than stock. [patriot]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Whoo Whooooo!] Another vote for B&M, I like mine.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are all a huge improvement over stock. I've driven cars with the Hurst, Pro5.0, & B&M.

I had an old school Hurst on my 87GT for 5 years and loved it.

I currently have a Pro-5.0 on my 93 coupe and here is the big difference.

1.) Pro 5.0 handle is shorter
2.) Pro5.0 has an offset spring mechanism for 3rd gear shifts. Basically, it helps guide the tranny on the 2-3 shift. VERY helpful when powershifting.

I have also heard great things about the Tri-ax from Steeda.

For those of you that say that the Hurst or B&M is a great shifter, well, you have not tried a Pro5.0
It's as simple as that.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I liked my Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. Short, positive shifts from 2nd to 3rd. Haven't tried any others though.
Posts: 972 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shortest i felt was the b&m ripper shifter [worship] fuck those shifts are really close. ive had the 5.0 pro, i loved it. smooth, ive tried the husrt one as well and it was good too. get a b$m or a pro5.0

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

04SGMach1
Member # 6232

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04SGMach1  Ford pictures for 04SGMach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the Steeda Tri-Ax and love it, but if I could do it all over again I'd go with MGW hands down! But I think any of the brands mentioned you will be happy with cause they all are much better and shorter than stock
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
They are all a huge improvement over stock. I've driven cars with the Hurst, Pro5.0, & B&M.

I had an old school Hurst on my 87GT for 5 years and loved it.

I currently have a Pro-5.0 on my 93 coupe and here is the big difference.

1.) Pro 5.0 handle is shorter
2.) Pro5.0 has an offset spring mechanism for 3rd gear shifts. Basically, it helps guide the tranny on the 2-3 shift. VERY helpful when powershifting.

I have also heard great things about the Tri-ax from Steeda.

For those of you that say that the Hurst or B&M is a great shifter, well, you have not tried a Pro5.0
It's as simple as that.

Pro 5.0 [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
hard60
¯
Member # 6247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hard60  Ford pictures for hard60    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
another vote for a MGW, my buddy has one on his car and its sweet!!

i have a pro 50 now but i am gonna get a mgw when i switch trannies.

i have owned these shifters, ripper shifter, steeda tri ax, pro 50 and the mgw feels the best to me. good luck

Posts: 94 | From: santa clara | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i like the steeda shifter, never tried the mgw but am hearing a lot about it can someone tell me whats so great about it i might want to try that out next.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com