Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » electric fan not turning on

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: electric fan not turning on
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a black magic fan, the specific 5.0 mustang fan #175, i have the fan wired up with the relay, when i bypass the thermomator inthe radiator i can here the relay click but the fan wont turn. would it be the fan motor? becuase the connections have power going to them, but the fan will not turn or anything. is there a way to check if the motor is getting power and see if the motor is fried or not?

[ December 05, 2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: two-gun kid ]

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run a wire(s) directly to the battery from the negative and positive post on the fan bypassing everything else and see if it spins....if not than the motor is fried.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did it just stop working or is this a new setup?

if the relay is clicking that means your are activating the relay and there's nothing wrong with it, IMO you either dont have a good ground to the relay or you dont have power from the battery going to the correct terminal.

-
quote:
Fordmuscle.com Tech article:
12. The final step is to deal with the wiring. You need a 12V source to the battery (red shown here), as well as a 12V ignition source (blue). The Green wire in this photo is connected to the AC power source. The black is ground. The empty terminal is for the optional manual switch -wire it to a toggle switch under the dash somewhere.
The little knob at the top of the box is the control to set the temperature at which the fan comes on. There are no temperature gradations on the box, but the range is between 180 - 240 degrees. With the engine at operating temp, rotate the knob until the fan turns on. A eigth turn higher and you're set.

[dance]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
did it just stop working or is this a new setup?

if the relay is clicking that means your are activating the relay and there's nothing wrong with it, IMO you either dont have a good ground to the relay or you dont have power from the battery going to the correct terminal.

-
quote:
Fordmuscle.com Tech article:
12. The final step is to deal with the wiring. You need a 12V source to the battery (red shown here), as well as a 12V ignition source (blue). The Green wire in this photo is connected to the AC power source. The black is ground. The empty terminal is for the optional manual switch -wire it to a toggle switch under the dash somewhere.
The little knob at the top of the box is the control to set the temperature at which the fan comes on. There are no temperature gradations on the box, but the range is between 180 - 240 degrees. With the engine at operating temp, rotate the knob until the fan turns on. A eigth turn higher and you're set.

[dance]
that was the first thing i went to last night, i clicked fordmuscles write up.

[ December 06, 2005, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: two-gun kid ]

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Run a wire(s) directly to the battery from the negative and positive post on the fan bypassing everything else and see if it spins....if not than the motor is fried.

ill try that tomorrow
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Completely different problems but the same fan wtf. Yea just run power directly from the battery and see what happens. If you have a thermostat built into the fan turn the little knob all the way to the lowest setting when you check it.

[ December 06, 2005, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: PWR HNGRY 302 ]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
Mrk50LX
¯
Member # 5147

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrk50LX  Ford pictures for Mrk50LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a simular problem the fan wouldn't turn on and the car would start to over heat (thank god for a manual temp guage) however the lugs on the pcb got so hot they desoldered themselves from the board.I've replaced the board and the thermostat switch but this didn't help the fan was not turning on when sitting in stop & go traffic for me it turned out the fan motor was bad. You can replace the fan motor for $120, but After talking to flex-a-lite I found this is a common problem with the 175 fan an they recommended using the 185 X-treme fan. it uses a bigger fan shroud for better cooling. so far so good. If you get your fan working I suggest you move the electronics out of the fan housing so they don't get to hot and you have what happened to me. by the way the 185 fan has the electronics remoted to begin with

--------------------
92 LX conv W/M&M,and Maier Racing Suspension components. MAC Headers and 2.5in MAC exhaust.70mm MAF 65mm Throttle body

Posts: 34 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com