Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog Help (acceleration violation)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog Help (acceleration violation)
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I go down to the test only place, pay for a pre-test and everything goes good. Visual pass, tailpipe pass. Then they go do the "real" test and they said they kept getting an acceleration violation on their computer. They couldn't explain to me what that is and just shrugged their shoulders and failed me. The good thing, they didn't charge me for it. But, does anyone have an idea WTF that is???

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's when your car is being smog tested under load to simulate normal driving conditions. Passing the other two is easy and therefore, being that we all live in the great state of CA, we must now pass the new test also. Unless of course you live in a county that is exempt.
Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It was on the rollers for both the pre-test and actual test

--------------------

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the pretest is pretty similar to the real test. ive done a few at school but i have no clue what that means.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Guess I didn't really make myself clear, I'm asking what does "acceleration violation" mean in terms of a smog test failure.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
never heard of it and I failed everything possible with my car on 12 pre-tests last year...

I'd try another smog place?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Clicky

Read up on this. Sure looks to me it's the techs fault...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Clicky

I know the guy who smoged my car real well and have seen him do mine and a few other on the dyno. The tech has to control the rpm and keep it within a certain speed or else the test won't work, pretty much just like it says in the article. I would go to a smog tech who knows what they are doing. [patriot]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
quote:
Clicky

I would go to a smog tech who knows what they are doing. [patriot]
If I took it to a smog tech who knew what they were doing, then I'd fail the visual! [Big Grin] The place I went to today didn't even open my hood.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
quote:
Clicky

I would go to a smog tech who knows what they are doing. [patriot]
If I took it to a smog tech who knew what they were doing, then I'd fail the visual! [Big Grin] The place I went to today didn't even open my hood.
lol, details...details...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
An "accel violation" is when the tech cant get the car to stabilize on the dyno(sometimes extra tough when the car has a lopey cam, sticky/stiff throttle operation, etc) quick enough, the machine usually gives you a few "do overs" before it kicks you out of the test. Sounds like he was able to tame the throttle on the pre-test but blew it on the real test, not much you can do, he could have run the test again but that was up to him. Your car technically didnt fail the test, it just wasnt completed. I would guess he doesnt want to try to run the car again, maybe you'll get lucky and find somebody else that wont notice the 351 under the hood. hope this helps, good luck
Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
green_fow_six
¯
Member # 6063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for green_fow_six  Ford pictures for green_fow_six    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, same thing happened to me. Kept having accel violations. The tech had to retest it about 5 times hahah, finally got it to pass. He felt that it was my different gear ratio (3.73) that made it hard for him to complete the test.

--------------------
96 GT w/FMS Eaton M112 blower, 01 PI engine, SCT Tuned, Snow Performance Boost Cooler, 3.73 Gears, Saleen suspension, Hans Subframes, and much more.

Posts: 19 | From: Martinez, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com