Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » possible heatercore. please help me tonight!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: possible heatercore. please help me tonight!!
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think my heater core just took a crap right now..
I had the car finally running.. go around the block testing the new brakes.. come back turn of the car and there was significant puddle of water by passenger header. it kept on driping so I jacked the car up and it seemed to be coming from one of the hoses that goes into the firewall (heather core). I inspected those hoses and they seem ok.. No holes not cracks, etc etc.
I go inside the car and lifted the carpet up and there were drops on my carpet and a little bit underneath of it.
the heater was not on. i started the car again.. let the car iddle for a while and there was no more leak!! [Confused]
turned the car off.. started the car, turned on the heater full blast for a minute of two .. checked inside and there was no water at all..

if my heater core is toast.. will it leak all the time of just when i have the heater's on?
what's an easy way of fixing it since i really want to go to the track tomorrow.
thanks

--------------------
=(

snowrider
Member # 6240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowrider  Ford pictures for snowrider  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WELL FOR ONE IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE IT. TAKE YOUR HOSE AND BYPASS THE HEATER CORE. TAKE THE HOSE FROM INTAKE AND HOOK IT UP BY THE WATER PUMP. ELIMATE THE HEATER HOSE. YOU WON'T HAVE ANY HEAT. BUT YOU CAN GIVER ON THE TRACK TOMORROW. HOPE IT HELPS. [patriot]
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make a U turn at the hoses. Remove both hoses at the firewall and remove one of them from the pipes. Then just make them make a U turn so the pipes are left open on the firewall and coolant will just circulate.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the coolant will circulate through the heater core regardless if the heater is on or not.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
I think my heater core just took a crap right now..
I had the car finally running.. go around the block testing the new brakes.. come back turn of the car and there was significant puddle of water by passenger header. it kept on driping so I jacked the car up and it seemed to be coming from one of the hoses that goes into the firewall (heather core). I inspected those hoses and they seem ok.. No holes not cracks, etc etc.
I go inside the car and lifted the carpet up and there were drops on my carpet and a little bit underneath of it.
the heater was not on. i started the car again.. let the car iddle for a while and there was no more leak!! [Confused]
turned the car off.. started the car, turned on the heater full blast for a minute of two .. checked inside and there was no water at all..

if my heater core is toast.. will it leak all the time of just when i have the heater's on?
what's an easy way of fixing it since i really want to go to the track tomorrow.
thanks

if the heatercore is toast it will leak all the time, fog up your windshield, or others. if you dont have a leak INSIDE the heatercore box (IE no moisture if you check inside that flapper door) then your heatercore is fine.

the firewall where the heaterbox is has a felt/rubber kind of insulating blanket that seals against the holes in the firewall, if you have a leak on one of the metal heater tubes (like it sounds like to me, a leaky heatercore wouldn't leak out under the car unless you got floorpan issues [Wink] ) then the leak could very well soak that blanket and penetrate into the car a little bit to make the carpet damp.

right after I replaced my heatercore I took it for a drive and after the thermostat opened up (it was up to temp) I gunned it and one of the rubber heatercore lines wasn't on tight enough apparently and it popped open a bit and sprayed coolant all over, some got into my car and got my carpet damp! I tightened those hoses (I could hear them hissing when I popped the hood) and no problems since.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com