Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » motor mount tips ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: motor mount tips ?
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope to be changing the motor mounts in my 89 vert next week. Does anyone have any tips besides what Chiltons is going to say ? The tranny is out if that makes any difference.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its actually pretty easy....I've done this Hundreds of times and never once dented the oil pan...

1) 1st take the nuts off the bottom of the K-member...I think they're a 22mm nut

2) next find a small jack or maybe a slim one to gone underneath the rear of your oil pan.

3) Get a 1 inch or 2 inch think piece of wood..preferably something wide enough to fit under the oil pan not like a 2 X 4...cut it so it doesnt hit the K-member

4) Then jack the motor up far enough to clear the center bolt which goes through the K-member

5) From underneath the car, use a long extension and I think a 9/16 sicket to take off the two bolts that hold the mount onto the motor....it comes out real easy...

6) just reverse the steps for putting them back on....

this should take anyone about an hour TOPS...It usually take me about 30 to 45 minutes....

[ November 24, 2005, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: jordan_0806 ]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's really an easy job. First off un-bolt both mounts at the K-member. Next step losen up the fan shroud bolts on the top so that the fan/motor can rise up when you jack the motor up without the fan making contact with the shroud. Place a block of wood on the oil pan towards the side you plan on swapping first. Jack that side up just enough to remove the mount. Losen the 2 bolts securing the mount to the block. Jack the motor up just enough the get the old mount up and the new one in. Do one side at a time and place the jack accordingly. Make sure when installing the new mounts that when the motor is lowered that the alignment dowels on the mounts slip into there holes on the k-member. At times you may have to pry the mounts one way or another to get them to drop into place. I'd suggest running vert mounts at the least. Or pro-form/energy mounts for a stiffer mount. Be careful threading in the bolts into the block....do by hand so they don't cross thread. Good luck bro [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to correct the other post...the motor mounts to the k-member are 21mm nuts and the bolts to the block are 5/8" heads

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
to correct the other post...the motor mounts to the k-member are 21mm nuts and the bolts to the block are 5/8" heads

close enough right?!?!?!?!? [Wink]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just to add, use vert mounts NOT the originals. You'll thank yourself in the long run. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info everyone, and I did buy vert mounts.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com