Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » iron gt40 heads

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: iron gt40 heads
1quik69
¯
Member # 5481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1quik69  Ford pictures for 1quik69    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have acquired a complete explorer engine for less than the cost of a new intake system. I am wondering about the heads. Are they any better than the stock heads on my 95 gt? What modifications if any would you recommend to the heads and intake system? What is involved with modifying the explorer tb to work on a mustang? who is a good shop to do mods on heads etc in nor cal? I am in Redding so looking for something in the sac to redding area if possible. The heads have 3 bars on them and i believe that would make them the gt40 heads.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same heads as on the `95 cobra basically.

the explorer TB AFAIK wont work on a mustang, the throttle linkage is on the wrong side (would have to mod the cable or the linkage to pull the blade, if you mount it on the passenger side like a mustang intake it would open by pushing the linkage)

the intake sound work fine though, be a nice bolt on mod

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats wierd that if it's an explorer motor it came with 3 bar heads.

Explorer's came with 4 bar gt40p heads.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, the first couple of years came with regular GT-40's. I don't remember what year it was but you can go here at the Bottom of the page
You can use the Explorer upper and lower, but you'll need a SN95 Elbow (Trick Flow/Edelbrock/Ford) and the SN95 TB. Or you an swap over to the fox Style TB. Lots of posts on Stangnet about that.

[ November 24, 2005, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: a50sn95 ]

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a sn-95 throtle body adapter for sale so you can use this intake. 50 bucks PM me if your interested.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com