Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Oil pressure on an 89lx

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Oil pressure on an 89lx
4sale
¯
Member # 6154

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4sale  Ford pictures for 4sale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had this car for about 4months now. Since I bought it the oil pressure gauge has been in the middle mark. Every once in a while it goes just a lil below normal. But then goes back to the middle mark. the car runs fine.
This car is 100% bone stock with 140k on the motor. Nothing has been touched under the hood.

Any idea why the oil pressure gague reads in the middle? I have been in other 5.0's where the gague reads above the middle mark, in most cases at the high mark which I have been told is good.
any reason why mine is in the middle, and sometimes below?
Is the motor going? Rings? The sender bad?
What should I do? or what can be done?

thanks

Posts: 80 | From: s. san jose | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
84GT5.0
¯
Member # 5227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84GT5.0  Ford pictures for 84GT5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how many miles are on the motor? Mine reads in the middle too with 105k. But then again we are relying on a stock gauge that probably isnt terribly accurate to begin with.

--------------------
RIP Russell W. Krill

4sale
¯
Member # 6154

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4sale  Ford pictures for 4sale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's got 140k right now. The car seems to run fine, but this gague is reading low.
You think maybe replacing the sender? or using a heavier oil?

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you really want to know what the pressure is you'll need a aftermarket guage like an autometer

my stock guage's sender died and the stock guage would be all over the place, got an autometer and it holds 35psi at hot idle which is perfect. On the stocker it would drop to 0 sometimes on the freeway, lol

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
84GT5.0
¯
Member # 5227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84GT5.0  Ford pictures for 84GT5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
if you really want to know what the pressure is you'll need a aftermarket guage like an autometer

you took the words right out of my mouth.

--------------------
RIP Russell W. Krill

4sale
¯
Member # 6154

thanks guys. i'll be doing that ASAP
One last thing. With 140k on the clock what weight of oil should I be using, just to be on the safe side.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use 20w50 in my gf's convertable, it has 172k miles and "on the stock guage" oil pressure reads on the higher end always [Roll Eyes] lol

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

84GT5.0
¯
Member # 5227

quote:
I use 20w50 in my gf's convertable, it has 172k miles and "on the stock guage" oil pressure reads on the higher end always [Roll Eyes] lol

I guess mines just a POS lol

--------------------
RIP Russell W. Krill

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

its an auto and we bought it off a chick 4 years ago, I think the AOD saved the engine really well.

but if that AOD ever dies its getting a T5 so I can beat on the cruiser [Big Grin]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

84GT5.0
¯
Member # 5227

quote:
its an auto and we bought it off a chick 4 years ago, I think the AOD saved the engine really well.

but if that AOD ever dies its getting a T5 so I can beat on the cruiser [Big Grin]

I can kill that AOD for you to speed up the process [Whoo Whooooo!] [burnout]

--------------------
RIP Russell W. Krill

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO NOT pay super close attention to the stock gauge. The stock gauge will not tell you absolute numbers. At best it is a tool to tell you that something isn't right. They are dummy gauges.

They are all over the place.

My brother's 93GT reads on the high side of N O R M A L, my car reads in the middle, my friends 93 cobra read on the low side of N O R M A L.
When we hooked up an autometer, they were all within 5% cold and hot...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com