Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GT is down for awhile!!. jus got the bad news

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: GT is down for awhile!!. jus got the bad news
BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
took it to a shop...and JUST by listening to it..he knew it was a rod...like many of you guys have been tellin me..

guy said to REBUILD the motor it is going to cost $2500-$3000

any suggestions from you guys?? what to do with a new or used motor??

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should do some mods to the motor since its apart. like cams or porting. just a though
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HCI [patriot]

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes was thinking of doing the heads (porting) and getting some cams as well

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not just buy a crate motor or crate shortblock? You can sell your rodnock motor for parts to help with the bill, and that way you can get a motor from someplace that does hundreds of 4.6s (with a warranty and all the mods done already) instead of Joe Blow putting together his third 4.6 ever.

Plus if your car is still driveable it will cut your down time between motors... you won't have to wait to have the bad motor torn apart, all the parts to be gathered, wait for the mechanics to get to your car, and then have everything put back together and reinstalled (all at $60-80/hour).

$.02

[ November 03, 2005, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: cheap ]

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its $2000-3000 for the rebuild than look somewhere else. i mean stock pi engines can be had for considerably less. then there's always going with a crate motor from someplace like mph, vt, or hci. i guess it pretty much depends on how much you're willing to spend and how quickly you need the car up and running.
X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did you do to your car?? You been beatin' the crap out of it? You better build it strong, seeing as how you go through about a car a year LOL.

[ November 04, 2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: X97headswap ]

Posts: 181 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If Ya have the money do it rite and set it up to handle some power. If not do what You have to do. Is this Your daily driver?

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn if thats a forged rebuild that seems pretty cheap?? alteredspeed told me it would cost me about $6000 for forge my 4v... thats with mahle pistons, etc.

good luck... better go forged and slap some nitrous on that puppy [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd personally hit a junkyard up and pull a 4v out of a lincoln for $500 bucks [worship]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
or take the car to a dealer and trade it in for another [Whoo Whooooo!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2000-3000 dollars for a rebuild, that's to much i paid $1600 for mine, but if u are planing to keep the car just save some money and go all forged.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
18x10roushes
¯
Member # 5269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 18x10roushes  Ford pictures for 18x10roushes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go forged i got a hook up on the head porting mine came out coo shoot me a pm.

--------------------
http://fastgms-teamfast.com/

MEMBER OF TEAM FAST
RIP Willie G

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with a built unit. THe difference between a stock rebuild and a built one with forged internals is less than $1000.

If you need a engine give us a call as we can provide you with a very nice Coast High Performance engine with completely built and forged internals for only $3500.00

[ November 04, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look for a 03 Cobra motor and T-56 [Big Grin] [patriot]

OR build this motor to handle a S/C'er!

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

87GeeTee
¯
Member # 5905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87GeeTee  Ford pictures for 87GeeTee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
Look for a 03 Cobra motor and T-56 [Big Grin] [patriot]

OR build this motor to handle a S/C'er!

Turbo's! So, he can be like the Parking Lot Drifter. [Razz]

--------------------
Member #: 5145
PWA Owner & SRA Member
Two-Gun Motorsports

2002 GT; Gone But Not Forgotten
1987 GT Vert (Sold!)

Posts: 4278 | From: San Pablo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com