Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » head swap....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: head swap....
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it posible to swap my 2v heads off my 97 gt for a pair of 4v cobra heads?...the block is the same how hard can it be?...i wanna drop in 03/04 SVT heads in my 97 with the blower and everything...of course the computer has to switched over to a cobra computer...but is this swap possible or am i just better off buying a cobra motor?...thanks a bunch

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have heard of people doing the swap but the sn95 motors wont handle the boost and you be searching for small pieces and it will be a pita. you would be better off buying the complete motor and wiring harness.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not quite so, the blocks in the 96-98 cobras are, so far, the strongest ford 4.6 aluminum blocks available on a cobra/mach

[ October 29, 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could add the 03 Heads and blower to your block. It is not as simple as just bolting on the heads and blower though. You will need get a new wiring harness and I believe the 03-04 Cobra computer. Your engine should be able to handle the boost since it is cast iron and the Cobra Blower is only 8Lbs. Also, do you have the 03-04 Cobra and the wiring harness yet?

[ October 30, 2005, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for the price of getting the 4v heads to go on you'd be better off using your money for a pi swap. frick, you could prolly get some svo heads and a kb blower for the same price for the whole thing.
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you get a KB Blower and PI heads you would easily get 400RWHP & 400RWTQ.
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:

i thought pi heads bump up the compression to a point where its not ideal to have a blower without building up the bottom end?
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by tonster:
quote:

i thought pi heads bump up the compression to a point where its not ideal to have a blower without building up the bottom end?
several of the newedge gt's get blown and are fine... [Wink]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:
quote:

but the newer edge GT's dont have a high compression.

when doing a PI Swap on a non PI motor..the compression rises to roughly 10.5:1

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
Originally posted by Red00GT:
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:
quote:

but the newer edge GT's dont have a high compression.

when doing a PI Swap on a non PI motor..the compression rises to roughly 10.5:1

and mach1's have a 10.1:1 compression ratio... and get blown all the time w/o a problem.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats the compression of a stock 97 gt anyway? 9.5:1? so upgrade to PI heads and intake and slap a KB blower on it?...ok ...sounds good to me....
Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

We currently have 3-4 customers who are running KB's on 2000-2004 GT's with no issues. Infact, ALL OF THEM are pulling over 400RWHP & 420RWTQ on pump gas and most of them drive their cars weekly. One customer has logged over 10K miles since we installed his KB & tuned it... no problems at all.

The compression ratio for 1997 is 9:1. I know the Cobras were 9.85:1 for sure. Switching to PI heads and slapping a KB on it would make you smile [Big Grin] I love KB's.. you gotta love the instant power that it delivers at 2000 RPM [Smile]

[ October 30, 2005, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

Roush2960
¯
Member # 672

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roush2960  Ford pictures for Roush2960    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can say the KB is a blast. I have had mine now for over a year and near 10K miles on it. My numbers are 419RWHP / 429 RWTQ and thats on a safe tune with well over 100 + dyno runs. All work has been done at Apex Motorsports and tuning.

If you were to change to PI heads your compression will be up-ed. In the 10-10.5 range. If you decide to go that route you will definatly want to go intercooled and start at 8 psi. That would put you in the 400 rwhp range.

Next you will want to look at you clutch and rear setup. The torque increase will tear the rear out of the car. I had too so just an FYI.

How many miles are on your current block. If its over 130k miles you might want to look at getting a new motor outta a wrecked 2K + car. They can be had for realitive cheap cost (3k-ish)with about 20K-ish miles on them.

I can say that if you do it you will have to learn how to drive your car all over again...Thats not a bad thing.

Matt

[ October 30, 2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Roush2960 ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com