Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Blown header gasket

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Blown header gasket
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed a pair of BBK equal length headers on my '87 5.0 about two months ago, and after about two weeks the drivers side gasket went out. I fixed it, a month later both are fucked. Do they just come with shitty gaskets or what. What should I do to stop them from going out? Copper gaskets?

[ October 20, 2005, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: PWR HNGRY 302 ]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you have time i'd check to see if they are flush. if they are you have to take them to a machine shop to have them milled. but you could try the copper gaskets if you want.

Justin

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
were they cardboard looking gaskets? those suck. you want to go with any foil looking gasket like the fel pro ultra seal or you can do reusueable copper gaskets, but they cost more

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
flush?
Yea they did look like cardboard

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If thier "card board" gaskets, we used to soak them in water for a second. I now use copper gaskets, and then check them after a few days of driveing to make sure they'r tight like the first night.

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always put the high temp ultra copper RTV on both sides of the gasket and have no problems. You dont need a lot, just a fine coat.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use the felpro gaskets and they work fine.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check how flat/true the header flange is...My BBK's headers warped....Best advice after replacing my header gaskets: Buys some FMS shorties.... [patriot]

BTW~did you ever look at the welds inside the BBK headers?...You know it's bad when you have to port brand new headers to the stock E7 heads... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

I haven't cheked the welds but iam really hoping its just shitty gaskets i'll probably check tomorrow.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check to see if your header bolts backed out, thats normally the bigest problem
19gt93
¯
Member # 5072

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19gt93  Ford pictures for 19gt93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DOES UR CAR RUB OVER SPEED BUMPS THAT MIGHT BE WHY THE PIPES MIGHT BE HITING AND MOVING UR HEADERS I HAD THAT PROBLEM

[ October 24, 2005, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: 94DropTop ]

--------------------
2 hemi's and a 5.0

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The exhuast doesn't rub, but last time this happened one of the bolts was loose though. What can I do to prevent that from happening? Better bolts?
uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you may have a warped flange, if not, you need to check often
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put a drop of locktite on the headerbolts before you install them

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com