Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 2001 Corolla throwing codes - Fuel System Lean Condition?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 2001 Corolla throwing codes - Fuel System Lean Condition?
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I pulled codes on a 2001 Toyota Corolla and it threw "Fuel System Lean Condition" code.

Anyone know what I need to replace? It just happened when I filled up at Costco so I'm keeping an eye on the temp/MPG on this tank.

Is it the regulator (if it even has one)?

[Confused]

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check for vacuum leaks. Make sure the air inlet tube is secure, squeeze all the vacuum lines and make sure none are soft and are sealing correctly.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks I'll double check those vacuum lines.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It also states it being in "bank 1" or #1 cylinder so could it be the injector?

Any toyota techs out there?

[Confused]

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe the o2 sensor is bad,
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bank 1 refers to the bank of cylinders that is running lean. In this case on a 4 cyl you only have one bank of cylinders. In addition to the vacuum leak check, might also want to check fuel pressure, the fuel filter(pluged filter could make the car run lean) and for any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor. If all this fails might want to take it to a shop and have them test the operation of the 02 sensor. good luck

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo:
Bank 1 refers to the bank of cylinders that is running lean. In this case on a 4 cyl you only have one bank of cylinders. In addition to the vacuum leak check, might also want to check fuel pressure, the fuel filter(pluged filter could make the car run lean) and for any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor. If all this fails might want to take it to a shop and have them test the operation of the 02 sensor. good luck

Yeah i realize bank #1 pertained to the #1 cylinder out of the 4.

I was thinking it could be the fuel injector. It didn't throw an o2 sensor problem (there are separate codes for that in Chilton's.)

Stupid general "lean" code. Her tank also went down in efficiency 10 miles or so total meaning something definetely isn't running right in that #1 cylinder.

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Might want to check the plug on #1 and check the resistance on the plug wire and the injector, hopefully the specs are in your Chiltons.

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the loss of efficiency (and probably performance, too) will be attributed to the engine's computer kicking the car into a "safe rich" mode to compensate for the lean condition it is detecting. You know, to protect against detonation if you are actually running lean.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

biggmatt
¯
Member # 1124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggmatt  Ford pictures for biggmatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the same code on my truck...i went to a couple forus and they recommened cleaning the m.a.f. sensor. solved MY problem.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

quote:
Originally posted by biggmatt:
i had the same code on my truck...i went to a couple forus and they recommened cleaning the m.a.f. sensor. solved MY problem.

MMM I'll try that. Thanks!
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

quote:
Originally posted by biggmatt:

Yeah I checked it out and that was the problem alright. Cleaned it and it's running great!

THANKS! [patriot]

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the light still on? also noticed u said right after4 a fill up. u will get that code if gas up with car running, or do not tightened cap all the way on all obd II cars. just to let ya know [Wink]
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Yeah it was the dirty MAF sensor that threw the codes.

I checked for Vacuum lines and everything else checked out.

Thanks though!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com