Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Why does my clutch squeak?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Why does my clutch squeak?
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Only at idle, when stopped and in neutral, my clutch squeaks. Sounds just like brake squeal. If I nudge the pedal it stops. This is not a sound coming from the pedal mechanism, it's in the actual clutch. What's the deal?

My tranny fights me going into first and reverse as well. Low oil maybe?

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the throwout bearing
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This clutch is almost brand new, has less than 10k miles on it. Top quality Ram clutch, cost me about 60 bucks!

[ October 12, 2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: BCINGUU ]

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not a clutch expert, but I know that noise is usually associated w/ the throwout bearing going out. Did you change that when you did the clutch?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had similar symptoms with my clutch. In my case it turned out to be the clutch fork. The clip that holds the throw out bearing was causing the squeaks. This was indicated by very light pressure to the pedal the noise would go away. You have a couple options, both involve dropping the tranny again. Replace the fork or bend the clip that holds the throw out bearing so that there is tension not allowing for the squeaks.

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Thanks guys. I'll check it out.

BTW, yes this is a new clutch and TOB.

--------------------

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you put a light coat of axel grease on the inside of the TO bearing?
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Sounds like a good thing to try...

--------------------

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're always suppose to put a light coat of grease on the throw out bearing. If the bearing retainer has a bunch of grooves in it, order a new aluminum replacement from summit. http://www.mustangworks.com/articles/drivetrain/GetaGrip.html has good instructions for a clutch job.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Thanks. The clutch was installed by my engine builder and I don't know what was done but I'll check it out.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com