Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Any one ever seen red coolant

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Any one ever seen red coolant
BOOSTnJUICE
¯
Member # 5029

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOOSTnJUICE  Ford pictures for BOOSTnJUICE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got my car back from a shop and when i went to add some coolant the shit was red any one ever seen that shit i kno its coolant is smells like it and the texture is rite i just thought that stuff was Gold or Green lemme kno
Posts: 264 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its in toyotas
1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know some coolant also acts as a lube, at least in bikes it does, mostly Hondas.

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats the crap GM and other makers started putting into cars around 1996

DO NOT MIX IT WITH REGULAR GREEN COOLANT

otherwise its the same shit, just has a big ass warning on my truck that said do not mix with green, if you need to use green you have to completely flush the red out

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah all the GM's use dexcool which shouldnt be mixed.
there is also some universal coolant made by prestone which is orange.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dexcool has special additives in it to protect aluminum. In all-aluminum engines you'd want to use it.

We started seeing it back in my Oil Changer's days and there was a lot of controversy about whether or not you could mix it with green and whether or not it was suitable for use in all cars. I never heard of bad things coming from mixing it but, everyone always said "don't" so we didn't.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just be careful. It's called death-cool for a reason. It's supposed to last 100,000 miles but it doesn't. Mine dried up at 50,000 and turned to sludge, which ruined my cooling system and damaged my engine. It cost me over $1200 to repair the mess. This was on a 98 Chevy Blazer with death-cool in it from the factory, which I never messed with. It just turned to sludge on its own for no reason.

Change it frequently! Or better yet, flush it out and use ethylene glycol (green anti-freeze) instead, or even better, use just water and Purple Ice without any anti-freeze, because anti-freeze only reduces your cooling capacity anyway.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
Just be careful. It's called death-cool for a reason. It's supposed to last 100,000 miles but it doesn't. Mine dried up at 50,000 and turned to sludge, which ruined my cooling system and damaged my engine. It cost me over $1200 to repair the mess. This was on a 98 Chevy Blazer with death-cool in it from the factory, which I never messed with. It just turned to sludge on its own for no reason.

Change it frequently! Or better yet, flush it out and use ethylene glycol (green anti-freeze) instead, or even better, use just water and Purple Ice without any anti-freeze, because anti-freeze only reduces your cooling capacity anyway.

I've used the Red Coolant in my 203k Toyota Pickup for 5 years now with no cooling problems. So did my friend for his Toyota Truck for his 280k beast.

The Red type of Antifreeze was used to protect the Aluminum Components in the Toyota vehicles (usually the heads). As long as you check your Antifreeze from time to time and keep an eye on your Temp gauge, you should be fine.

And mixing those two is not recommended for your engine. Just flush it out and switch with green stuff or water wetter if you can't stop thinking about it. My Cobra radiator costs $14 to fill up though with a 50/50 ratio!

ls1_doc
¯
Member # 6083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ls1_doc  Ford pictures for ls1_doc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
actually its not the temperature that affects the dex-cool it is air. In an air tight enviroment it works awesome. Although i would never change coolant types in a vehicle with over 60,000 miles. The seals are accustomed to the chemical make-up of a certain coolant and changing them creates problems in older or high mileage motors.

--------------------
02 Ws6 -- Stock :)

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dex...no mix with green...turns to gel. used to work at jiffy lube, saw it once a week...STUPID PEPOLE!!!!!

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com