Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how hard is to swap motors

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how hard is to swap motors
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yohuallin  Ford pictures for yohuallin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well im getting a roller this weekend and i was wondering how hard is to swap the motors, both are v8s fox, 1989 and 1990, any input would be apreciatted [patriot]
Posts: 359 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ho.. when are you getting the roller? are you still thinking about swaping the whole thing?
Let me know... either way i'll help you.
[patriot]

--------------------
=(

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it took eddie510 its50 and me to swap 1 motor ..in about2 days if thats only because we were missing harware..like gaskets,and little shit like that...but point being it shouldn't take that long if its a long block.ready to install.its just a matter of connecting the wires back,tranny and clutch aslong as your able to do that..everything shold be down hill from there..trust me we're no experts and we did it

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ohh...you gonna need a shit full of tools also

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yohuallin  Ford pictures for yohuallin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2ToNE ToNe:
it took eddie510 its50 and me to swap 1 motor ..in about2 days if thats only because we were missing harware..like gaskets,and little shit like that...but point being it shouldn't take that long if its a long block.ready to install.its just a matter of connecting the wires back,tranny and clutch aslong as your able to do that..everything shold be down hill from there..trust me we're no experts and we did it

any wierd tools that you'd remember that are necessary... we are taking one motor out of one car and putting it into the other car... and prolly ill keep the other motor out of the other car... i dunno yet...

jersey im getting the roller on sat at the latest... i might need you to do me a favor with ur uncles truck [Smile] i dont want to drive the car [burnout]

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
engine hoist should be first on the list [Big Grin]

special tools wise, you will need the fuel line clip tools, or use two small screw drivers to open them

other than whats needed to lift the engine, nothing special

might need a torque wrench, but not 100% needed

you should be able to complete the swap in a day

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:

special tools wise, you will need the fuel line clip tools, or use two small screw drivers to open them

When You are in Eric's garage. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:

When You are in Eric's garage. [Whoo Whooooo!]
in my garage with three determined guys, i think 5 hours could do it

but there are a few factors that can prolong the process

beer
Fasterdamnit
Fasterdamnit's sense of humor
Fasterdamnits SVO
beer
Fasterdamnit
missing a tool
did I say Fasterdamnit

[Razz]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn...5 hours? Maybe if I drank the entire night before, had a hangover, and took a hour long lunch..that'd take me 5 hours.

By myself. [Razz]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Damn...5 hours? Maybe if I drank the entire night before, had a hangover, and took a hour long lunch..that'd take me 5 hours.

By myself. [Razz]

I once put a car together, bought a lightning, went to a birthday party, and had my wisdom teeth pulled. You aint got shit on that John!!
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Nah bro, maybe your and me are no experts but eddie's been around the block and back numberous times when it comes to taking out an putting in new engines.

[Whoo Whooooo!] for the cabrillo block john b!
[Big Grin]

[ October 12, 2005, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: 87 ]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh and as for the tools u might need a clutch alignment tool, and just a bunch of others to long to list them all
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What I usually do when I pull a motor is I pull the tranny out along with it. It's alot easier to put the clutch in and connect the tranny outside of the car than it is in the car. That's just my opinion though.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:

By myself. [Razz]

pull two motors out of running cars, then put one back in, in under 5 hours with 1 guy

john your good, but not that good [Big Grin]
even if u were, i would just send jim over to slow the process down [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

By myself. [Razz]

pull two motors out of running cars, then put one back in, in under 5 hours with 1 guy

john your good, but not that good [Big Grin]
even if u were, i would just send jim over to slow the process down [Big Grin]

Ohhh I will gladly put money that he will slaughter the 5 hour time mark [Wink]
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
PAulo.. if we are swaping engines then you better come over on sunday at 6am. think about it ... did you ever get a cherry picker?
Either way i'm pushing your car out of the driveway at 2am.. so... get ready.
btw.
I still think we should just swap the parts, not the blocks.. [Razz]

--------------------
=(

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

This guys are saying five hours.. but think about it.. that's JOHNfreaking B.. he's a mustang god. so.. it'll be 10 hours for us with just you and me.

--------------------
=(

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are swapping a complete engine from one to another, it's VERY simple. Think about it, all that needs to come off is...

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. [Wink]

Starting underneath the car, unbolt the following...
Bellhousing bolts (6 each)
Exhaust flanges (4 each)
Starter (2 bolts, 2 connectors)
Index or cover plate bolts (2 ea), remove converter nuts if auto trans (4 ea)
Disconnect O2 sensors
Motor mounts (2 each)
Disconnect the fuel lines

Up top, remove the following...
Both upper and lower hoses
Fan/fan shroud, remove hose for overflow tank
Radiator
PS pump (unbolt, allowing it to sit in the radiator support)
AC lines (if still present, from the Compressor)
Drivers side ground strap
Intake tube
Lower smog hose (from H pipe)
Vac tree on passenger side
Vac line to tree on driver's side
Throttle cable (and kickdown cable, if auto)

Next...
Disconnect 12 pin connectors (2 ea)
Disconnect Alternator harness
Disconnect 02 harness (pass side)
Neg battery cable, along with the small quick-disconnect and 8mm bolt on the radiator support (leaving it connected to the engine)
Positive lead from starter to solenoid (from solenoid side only!)

That should be it. Any questions? [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
its50
¯
Member # 4069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for its50  Ford pictures for its50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87:
quote:

Nah bro, maybe your and me are no experts but eddie's been around the block and back numberous times when it comes to taking out an putting in new engines.

[Whoo Whooooo!] for the cabrillo block john b!
[Big Grin]

[Razz] hey me and coupe took out motor and tranny in 2hours at his pad, thats a record for me. Hey remember to count how many hours it took you guys, post it up! [patriot]
Posts: 940 | From: 510..fremont.. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

quote:
If you are swapping a complete engine from one to another, it's VERY simple. Think about it, all that needs to come off is...

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. [Wink]

Starting underneath the car, unbolt the following...
Bellhousing bolts (6 each)
Exhaust flanges (4 each)
Starter (2 bolts, 2 connectors)
Index or cover plate bolts (2 ea), remove converter nuts if auto trans (4 ea)
Disconnect O2 sensors
Motor mounts (2 each)
Disconnect the fuel lines

Up top, remove the following...
Both upper and lower hoses
Fan/fan shroud, remove hose for overflow tank
Radiator
PS pump (unbolt, allowing it to sit in the radiator support)
AC lines (if still present, from the Compressor)
Drivers side ground strap
Intake tube
Lower smog hose (from H pipe)
Vac tree on passenger side
Vac line to tree on driver's side
Throttle cable (and kickdown cable, if auto)

Next...
Disconnect 12 pin connectors (2 ea)
Disconnect Alternator harness
Disconnect 02 harness (pass side)
Neg battery cable, along with the small quick-disconnect and 8mm bolt on the radiator support (leaving it connected to the engine)
Positive lead from starter to solenoid (from solenoid side only!)

That should be it. Any questions? [Big Grin]

should we take the tranny a long with the engine, or just the engine, the tranny on the roller is staying in the roller, that tranny had just been rebuilt.. should we need a clutch adjustment tool..? thanks Jhon [worship] .. hey if anyone wants to come and help i guess you guys are welcome.. right Jersey... [patriot]

also just to be safe.. does anyone has pics of where to lift the engine from..

[ October 13, 2005, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: yohuallin ]

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dawn paulo i wish i could help u but i will be in L.A. Do u want to wait for next week, then we could go the track. Also i could try to get some friends to help us out and i could get my friend to let me barrow the compressor.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

quote:
Originally posted by losbadgt:
dawn paulo i wish i could help u but i will be in L.A. Do u want to wait for next week, then we could go the track. Also i could try to get some friends to help us out and i could get my friend to let me barrow the compressor.

i tought Jersey got a compressor already [Confused] , well the thing is that i want to get it done ASAP so next weekedn we can do my rearend and the following wednesday be able to go to the track, i dont want to go to the track with stock gears and street tires..
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yohuallin:
quote:

i tought Jersey got a compressor already [Confused] , well the thing is that i want to get it done ASAP so next weekedn we can do my rearend and the following wednesday be able to go to the track, i dont want to go to the track with stock gears and street tires..
well if i finish the 50 by next weeken i will take it to the track and i will be running with stock gears and street tires [Frown]

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by yohuallin:
quote:

well if i finish the 50 by next weeken i will take it to the track and i will be running with stock gears and street tires [Frown]
well we couldnt pulled the motor out due to some issues witht the fucking starter bolts, and the flange bolts, im just gonna cut the h pipe so i can remove the headers, and then ill be able to play a bit more with the starter bolts, im sure that by this wednesday the motor will be out..
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

I took some pics..
this whole thing was not as hard as i had anticipated.
Thanks johnb for the list of things to do. we were following along and checking things off.

we would have finished in about 6 hours with a couple of breaks if it wasnt' because the damn bolts from the starter would not come out.
Other than that it was pretty straight forward.

Before pics.
 -
 -
this is a pretty good idea to keep all the bolts under control and not end up with extra bolts (this happens everytime i do anything to a car [Razz] )
 -

I'll have some after pics later.

Ps: thanks to the guy from Costco, (sorry dude, i didnt' get your name) for the lift plate, unfortunately we didn't get to use it.

--------------------
=(

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com