Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 99+ Verts - Driver window won't go up?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 99+ Verts - Driver window won't go up?
Midnight5.0
¯
Member # 597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight5.0  Ford pictures for Midnight5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The driver side window on my 99 Cobra Vert won't roll up. I took the door off and was wonding if I should buy a new switch first and try it, or replace the window motor. How should I troubleshoot this? Thx!
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Disconnect the harness to the window motor. Run a jumper wire directly to the window motor first. If it goes up/down, you know you have a bad switch. Most times, if you hear the switch *click* still, the switch is good...motor bad.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
1999svtcobra
Member # 6089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1999svtcobra  Ford pictures for 1999svtcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 99cobra just had the window regulator go bad. Does the motor make any noise at all? If so it could be the regulator, otherwise it could be electrical...
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Disconnect the harness to the window motor. Run a jumper wire directly to the window motor first. If it goes up/down, you know you have a bad switch. Most times, if you hear the switch *click* still, the switch is good...motor bad.

also to help out, the switches for the windows are all the same, even the door lock/unlock is the same switch. Internally they are 100% identical, they just have different covers on them

also, the switches arent that good at keeping out moisture and grease... you can take it apart and clean the contacts really well with some electrical part cleaner

[ October 07, 2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Midnight5.0
¯
Member # 597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight5.0  Ford pictures for Midnight5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The switch still works so it should be the window motor. Jumper wouldn't get it to go up. How do you get the motor out of the door with the window down? There's no way my hand will fit and I don't see any way to take the door apart..?
Midnight5.0
¯
Member # 597

ttt
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
----------EASIEST WAY--------------

Sit in the car with the door closed, turn on the dome light with the key in the accesory position. Watch the dome light and push the window switch. If the lamps flicker or dim than that means the window motor is getting power. That means your switch is good but the motor is poop.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remove the door panel, remove the speaker, disconnect the window motor connector, remove the three torx head screws that hold the motor in place, remove through the speaker hole. Since the window is stuck down, loosen up the motor and try to push the window up. If for some reason that dosen't work, your'e gonna have to pop out the rivets that hold the window to the regulator.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

lawmans_GT
¯
Member # 3235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawmans_GT  Ford pictures for lawmans_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem with my 2001 coupe. After many visits and a couple of new motors from the dealer it turned out to be the regulater.
MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem with my 02 coupe, it happened a couple times then it just fixed itself [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com