Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » tko 500 tranny.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: tko 500 tranny.
65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey hows it going. i have a 65 mustang and was wondering if the mounting brackets for the tko 500 and the t-5 are the same cause i am going to go ahead and thorw the tko 500 in instead. but i would like to know what i am getting into before i buy it. thanks
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would guess that the mounting points are the same but your problem might be getting the TKO to clear the '65's transmission tunnel. I've heard it will fit but u may have to "massage" the tunnel a bit. If you want other options check out the g-force T-5
http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

pretty tough with no fitment issues, u can even reuse your old T-5

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey im on the same boat as you im also installing the t-5 in my 65 but im still debating whether to get a hydraulic or cable clutch, which will you use?
-you should call mustangs plus, find them at mustangsplus.com they installed a tko in their mustang

65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for all the help. i will be sure to ask them. they seem like they know what they are doing hah. ok yah well i got a 347 stroker waiting to go in it so i was thinking i should up the tranny alitle bit. no prob working with metal is my thing. so that shouldnt be to bad. well i am going to go with the cable cause i want the feel that u get with a cable for racing u know that is why i am staying away from power breaks and steering. to get an old feel. call me crazy if u will. but it depends on were and how often u are going to be driving it u know. cause if u are going to be in stop in go traffic the ur leg will love you if u have the hydraluic one. so it is pretty much up too u. i got a stock cable from a 5.0 and riged some stuff up i welded an extension on the cluthch arm above the pivot and am making a plate for the fire wall so it wont pull through i havent got to the bottom side yet cause i am not that far yet i am in germany right now so the project is kinda on hold intill i get done with my tour here. if u dont have the clutch assembly like i didnt cause i had an auto. u can get a rusty complete set off ebay for 10-40 bucks. i just sand blasted it and painted it and it looks as good as ever. cause the arm is like 100 bucks just by it self for get that. well i wish u good luck and let me know how it comes out.
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com