Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what kind tranny and diff. fluid

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what kind tranny and diff. fluid
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i havent changed my tranny or diff. fluid in over 30K miles and there are 64K miles on the car. Im not sure what is in there right now but what kind of fluid should i service it with...ive used pennzoil synthetic 5/30 the entire life of the car and want to use good accessable fluid. its a '98 cobra....also when should i look into changeing the viscosity of my oil....there are 32K on the new motor. ANY HELP WOULOD BE GREAT>>>THANKS!

--------------------
:'98 SVT Cobra (Laser Red)(5027/5174)

R.I.P.

Posts: 431 | From: San Jose,CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i use redline or royal purple for the trans and diff since it doesnt need to be changed often. dont forget the limited slip additive for the rear, which some redline has already

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yohuallin  Ford pictures for yohuallin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98cobraGUY68:
i havent changed my tranny or diff. fluid in over 30K miles and there are 64K miles on the car. Im not sure what is in there right now but what kind of fluid should i service it with...ive used pennzoil synthetic 5/30 the entire life of the car and want to use good accessable fluid. its a '98 cobra....also when should i look into changeing the viscosity of my oil....there are 32K on the new motor. ANY HELP WOULOD BE GREAT>>>THANKS!

your rear diff takes 80-140 synth with the limited slip additive and your manual should take AF3 synth fluid, ford recomend changing your rear and manual every 30k miles, i do it every time it gets too dark, im a lube technician so every time i do an oil change on my car i check all those fluids, just go to any OIL STOP, and they will show you a sample of those fluids, even if you dont need a oil change you can just go for those services, i work at the one in san mateo... for your manual and rear fluid should be around $60+ (each) http://www.oilstopinc.com/about_us/
Posts: 359 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yohuallin:
quote:

your rear diff takes 80-140 synth with the limited slip additive and your manual should take AF3 synth fluid, ford recomend changing your rear and manual every 30k miles, i do it every time it gets too dark, im a lube technician so every time i do an oil change on my car i check all those fluids, just go to any OIL STOP, and they will show you a sample of those fluids, even if you dont need a oil change you can just go for those services, i work at the one in san mateo... for your manual and rear fluid should be around $60+ (each) http://www.oilstopinc.com/about_us/
Yohaullin~Check your recommendations again...

You DO NOT need to change the rear diff fluid every 30k...For 8.8's it's 60K at the very least, more like every 100k believe it or not...You can also just use any GL5 80/90 for the fluid and it does not have to be sythetic, but you do have to add the friction modifier...As far as the T45 trans oil, Ford recommend Dextron III, however you can use GM syncromesh or a synthetic Dextron III...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i recommend Swepco tranny and diff. fluid. you will never have issues with either ever again! or ever will..

www.swepcousa.com

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yohuallin  Ford pictures for yohuallin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlackNGold:
quote:
Originally posted by yohuallin:
quote:

Yohaullin~Check your recommendations again...

You DO NOT need to change the rear diff fluid every 30k...For 8.8's it's 60K at the very least, more like every 100k believe it or not...You can also just use any GL5 80/90 for the fluid and it does not have to be sythetic, but you do have to add the friction modifier...As far as the T45 trans oil, Ford recommend Dextron III, however you can use GM syncromesh or a synthetic Dextron III...

yes you can also use 80-90 GL5, but only up to 95, from 96 up it is RECOMENDED BY "FORD" every 30k, im just following the recomendentions we get from FORD..
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
96-98 Cobra's all use the same rear end as 86-04 Mustangs(8.8, Traction-Lok~limited slip diff)....I personally called Dublin Ford right before I posted to double check my memory and make sure about the service intervals and oil... [Wink]

BTW~I have a 94-98 Chiltons manual infront of me and for the diff oil it recommends "every 100,000 or anytime the vehicle is driven in high water"...

Also this is based on regular driving, obviously anyone who races their car will need to service their car more regularly...

I'm a moderator, I'm just making sure the correct info is used on cafords.com....If I'm wrong I'd admit it, but I ain't wrong...Unless for the last decade I've been servicing Mustangs wrong, Dublin Ford is wrong, and my Chilton manual is wrong also.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it pisses me the hell off that whenever I feel lazy and take my daily driver in to a oil stop thats in my area (cheapest regular oil change place) they ask me to buy add-ons the entire fuggen time, and it REALLY pisses me off that they take a sample of the rear end and trans fluids and show them to me.

rear end fluid should stay in the damn rear end until its going to be serviced, I wonder how many fill plugs have been stripped out to show the owner the color of the trans or rear end fluid?

hell, one time the idiot held up my oil pan drainplug and said "hey this is crooked, it'll probably strip if we put it back in, do you want to buy a new one?" Well I didn't put it in or pull it out, you might think you should replace that for me? [BS flag]

[ September 27, 2005, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlownCobra98
¯
Member # 5943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownCobra98  Ford pictures for BlownCobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
atf amsoil for tranny and 75w severe amsoil for rear

--------------------
Never enough Horspower always thirsty for more.
Drive it like you stole it.
Representing HCI Motorsports.

Posts: 142 | From: Carmichael | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
yohuallin
¯
Member # 4452

quote:
Originally posted by blind:
it pisses me the hell off that whenever I feel lazy and take my daily driver in to a oil stop thats in my area (cheapest regular oil change place) they ask me to buy add-ons the entire fuggen time, and it REALLY pisses me off that they take a sample of the rear end and trans fluids and show them to me.

rear end fluid should stay in the damn rear end until its going to be serviced, I wonder how many fill plugs have been stripped out to show the owner the color of the trans or rear end fluid?

hell, one time the idiot held up my oil pan drainplug and said "hey this is crooked, it'll probably strip if we put it back in, do you want to buy a new one?" Well I didn't put it in or pull it out, you might think you should replace that for me? [BS flag]

you know you cant tell them not do that rite?
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think my tranny is leaking in my T5, at first i thought it was just the oil pan on the engine but now my tranny is growling more and more plus it feels like its holding back the power.

Anyone know how much it costs to get a T5 rebuilt? i am not going to drive it tomorrow and risk driving the Jeep and then Thanksigiving day jack up the Mustang and fluid to the tranny.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com