Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » another smog question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: another smog question
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, so i took my off road h pipe off yesterday and put my stock pipe back on. i had to disconnect the battery at a point yesterday. i passed every aspect of the smog execpt the MIL/Check Engine Light. The guy asked me if i recently replaced my battery or disconnected it. i said that yesterday i disconnected it and he said if i drive it for 50-100 miles it should reset everything and pass. is this true? or does it possibly have anything to do with the fact that i have MIL eliminators on my car? any imput would help. thanx!

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know if driving it will reset the computer but I know that if you borrow a code scanner from Autozone you can clear the codes.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, this is true for OBD2 cars. I tried to get around an issue on my wife's car by disconnecting the battery, but it didn't work....
X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The problem is that you just reset your battery and your computer hasn't had a chance to go through all it's system checks. Never reset your battery right before you go in for a smog check. The smog tech was right, drive around for maybe 80 or so miles. Not just one straight trip either. You will need to cold start your car, warm start it, and put it through all types of situations to let the computer run through all it's checks. Go back when you are done, and you should be good to go.
Posts: 181 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanx for the imput guys. i guess ill just drive it around for a little bit before i go back. MIL eliminators dont mess with anything when it comes to smogs do they?

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They won't pass a visual, but other than that you are fine. I'm sure they won't notice.
Posts: 181 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

good stuff, thnx headswap

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might also want to ask the tech to check to make sure the emissions monitors have set before you run the test next time so you dont waste your time and money. Driving it for 80-100 miles will usually get them to set but sometimes it wont, make sure you mix in some stop and go, some acceleration, stop and let it cool down for and hour or so then drive back. If you want to get real crazy go to Ford or go back to the smog shop and ask if they can run you off a copy of the drive cycle procedure, they might not want to give you the info but its worth a shot and could save a little time trying to get your monitors to set. Good luck

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com