Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Porting Heads and Intake? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Porting Heads and Intake?
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArchersGT  Ford pictures for ArchersGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 92 gt with stock heads and cobra intake... I was just curious how much diffrence I would notice if I had my heads and intake ported. Thanks in advance. [patriot]

--------------------
86' LX Vert

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
money would be WAY better spent on aluminum heads

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArchersGT  Ford pictures for ArchersGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:

I wish i could afford alumninum heads, but im only 16 and cant quite afford something like that.

--------------------
86' LX Vert

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by archersgt:
quote:

I wish i could afford alumninum heads, but im only 16 and cant quite afford something like that.
porting the heads/intake and buying new gaskets to reinstall everything would be a minimum of $650 for something that would make any kind of difference.

you can pick up a set of used edelbrock aluminum heads for $750 no sweat, and not only gain power but also drop 60lbs off the front end!

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
quote:

and being 16 and broke is all the more reason to either do it right or don't bother, it costs twice as much to buy stuff twice [patriot]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

quote:
quote:
quote:

porting the heads/intake and buying new gaskets to reinstall everything would be a minimum of $650 for something that would make any kind of difference.

you can pick up a set of used edelbrock aluminum heads for $750 no sweat, and not only gain power but also drop 60lbs off the front end!

Damn, I didnt know it would be that much. Thanks for you help. [patriot]

--------------------
86' LX Vert

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it cost me $100 at most to port my heads, if it was going to cost 650 i would have bought new ones

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
it cost me $100 at most to port my heads, if it was going to cost 650 i would have bought new ones

Really?.... How much diffrence did it make? Cause im just looking to get a couple more ponys.

--------------------
86' LX Vert

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i was 16 i saved everypenny, $300 checks every two weeks. but that was just to buy the damn car. u already have it, u could have a nice lil h/c/i by the end of this year... maybe.

well anyway, you could also get some gt-40 irons. Nice budget head, and you'll feel the difference. Only run you about $400 for a good set with rockers.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
when i was 16 i saved everypenny, $300 checks every two weeks. but that was just to buy the damn car. u already have it, u could have a nice lil h/c/i by the end of this year... maybe.

well anyway, you could also get some gt-40 irons. Nice budget head, and you'll feel the difference. Only run you about $400 for a good set with rockers.

I want to get heads and cam, but i have to find a job.

--------------------
86' LX Vert

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just port your own heads, that's what i'm going to do to mine for now, since i'm in a budget cause i'm saving for a house and my weeding.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Really?.... How much diffrence did it make? Cause im just looking to get a couple more ponys.
What is the rest of your combo? If you are just looking for a bit more HP then there may be other ways to do it besides tearing off the top end of the motor.

I tend to agree w/ everyone, if you are going to go to the trouble of tearing the motor apart then put a set of aluminum heads on. [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you have the motivation, then you can port them yourself for a couple hundred bucks if you are in autoshop at school or something, thats what i did.
you'll need a rotary grinder, carbide bits, disassembly/reassembly of the heads, aftermarket valvesprings (recomended), seals, 3 angle valve job, and lots of time for research and porting. also add another 100 to mill them.
your intake doesnt really need porting, but you can clean it up just a little bit.
you can expect 15-20rwhp if done right.

[ August 30, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Hungry Hippo ]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/07/homeporting/index.shtml

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=11&291
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

Thanks for the help. [patriot]

--------------------
86' LX Vert

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Eek!]
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have no idea what porting my heads has made, cuz im still making 177hp with all the mods below [Mad]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

quote:
I have no idea what porting my heads has made, cuz im still making 177hp with all the mods below [Mad]

Because you have no idea of your tune. Once the A/F and timing are right you will see more. What is your base timing at? Also- did you get the valvetrain adjusted right?
SONIC LX
¯
Member # 5850

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SONIC LX  Ford pictures for SONIC LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to tell you the truth that piece of shit will never be fast. just sell the parts for my beater. lol [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
87 LX ex 4cyl now TFS H/C/I
79 Pace car 5.0/C4 5 lug

Posts: 349 | From: Healdsburg | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
ArchersGT
¯
Member # 5177

quote:
Originally posted by SONIC LX:
to tell you the truth that piece of shit will never be fast. just sell the parts for my beater. lol [Whoo Whooooo!]

Post up some pics of the gt. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
86' LX Vert

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haha jon's killin me here pretending he home ported those heads he sold me . . . . [Eek!]

HAHAHA good stuff man, they picked up a bunch of low/top end, especially with the new springs/RRs.

if you home port, do some reading from jim's site and also diyporting.com is the url i think, of mouse's site, helpful stuff there

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 - [Big Grin]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
DSGNotch
¯
Member # 5242

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DSGNotch  Ford pictures for DSGNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by silverLX:
 - [Big Grin]

DAMN THAT'S CLEAN!! Was this pic taken at a show? [Wink]

--------------------
88 Notch, Black interior, 5.0, T5, 3.55's, Flows, STB. Getting ready for paint.

Piecing together a wet kit; got most of it.

Posts: 224 | From: Healdsburg, CA 95448 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MidnightNotchback:
quote:
Originally posted by silverLX:
 - [Big Grin]

DAMN THAT'S CLEAN!! Was this pic taken at a show? [Wink]
that makes me sick [Frown] looking at that gt at that condition.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com