Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T-BIRD IRS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T-BIRD IRS
Dusty122
¯
Member # 4480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty122  Ford pictures for Dusty122  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im thinking of going to a t-bird irs on my 90 drop top. i know its kinda weird but has anybody done this or seen any write ups on the net about doing it. i was going to go with the cobra irs but ive been told the t-bird one will work better for my application.

--------------------
90 Mustang GT roadster
top, backseat, windows, mirrors, handles, wipers, springs, heater, a/c (delete all) that stuff is for chumps n e way

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why would you want to install a 7.5" rear in place of a 8.8?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Dusty122
¯
Member # 4480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty122  Ford pictures for Dusty122  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im more concerned with heighth than stregth. im not planning on make this car into anything much faster than stock. this is the show car. later will come the fast mustang. ive been told that the cobra irs doesnt camber in when its compressed where the tbird ones do.

--------------------
90 Mustang GT roadster
top, backseat, windows, mirrors, handles, wipers, springs, heater, a/c (delete all) that stuff is for chumps n e way

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Why would you want to install a 7.5" rear in place of a 8.8?

his suspension consists of an air bag kit, and the solid rear axle is limiting how far the rear can drop. The front tires tuck in when he drops it and the front tires lay in the wheelwell top.

Not sure whats holding the rear up, but have seen pics of Tbirds with bags that lay the rear as much as the front.

we've tried pulling the shocks, the pinion snubber is out, the bumpstops are out, the quadshocks are off, the gas tank was pulled...I think the rear is being limited by a bind in the control arms at the angle it gets to, IE why I recommended to him to try and find an IRS

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JBA did a Mustang years back with the IRS from a Super Coupe. It was at least 10 yrs ago though...
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The solid axle is not the limiting factor. The upper control arms are.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Dusty122
¯
Member # 4480

then am i basically screwed if the up control arms are the problem. is there anything i can cut out to let them go up higher? or its as low as im gonna go short of a full custom syspension

--------------------
90 Mustang GT roadster

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the irs sounds like a good idea then. the 4 link isnt made for a lot of suspension travel

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Dusty122
¯
Member # 4480

what year tbirds or lincolns should i be looking for to grab the rear from? i know that some where solid axel and have been told the newer ones wont work on a fox. thanks for the help

--------------------
90 Mustang GT roadster

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
89-97 T-bird, no Lincolns until the LS. The T-bird stuff should be easy enough to find in any junk yard.
88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lincoln mark VIII (8) will work also. But if its the upper arms, you are having trouble with, get rid of them and run a panhard bar???

The v8's and super coupes had an 8.8 as well.

[ August 30, 2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: 88bird ]

Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com