Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » smog check, failed NOx 93 jeep grand cherokee

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: smog check, failed NOx 93 jeep grand cherokee
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my girlfriends 93 grand cherokee Inline 6 failed smog today

it passed hc and co but failed NOx, what would cause this, anything to look for

the cat is not even 2 years old, the plugs, cap, and rotor have 5000 miles maybe

i dont think it is a missfire because the hc and co2 passed fine, NOx was almost double the max allowed

could a o2 sensor cause this, maybe check the egr for operation??

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NOx is usually from the car running too hot

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
car runs at 195, right where the thermostat opens

I am gonna clean the egr, test the o2 sensor, and put some premium in it and see what i can get out of it on a pre test, fun times [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Eric, isn't one of the "secrets" to passing smog to have 1/4 tank of "87" octane [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

maybe if it was an hc or co problem

NOx is a higher than normal combustion temperture, like its running lean or under heavy load

since premium burns slower it burns a little cooler, make sense [Confused]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You are more knowledgeable than I on the subject. Goodluck!

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
You are more knowledgeable than I on the subject. Goodluck!

no, i just like to over rationalize things to make them more complicated and therefore never work [Frown] [Big Grin]

i should have drove the thing off a cliff today, i wonder if the insurance company would be suspicious [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say the egr is clogged or went bad. but i'm just a hippo, i cant even own a car

also, was the cat a quality replacement?

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NOx is made at 2,500F degrees in the CC, just because the cats are new doesnt mean they arent bad. ALL cats now have a NOx bed in them right before the actual catalyst, the bed is designed to cool the NOx down. make sure the car isnt running lean, even try fatting it up just a little. depending on how much time you have a have an actual book from one of my ASE courses, if youwould like i can scan through it and see if i can find anything to help you out. PM me and let me know if you want me too.

Justin

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most of the smog equipment on the vehicle (EGR, air pump, etc.) are designed to put NOX back in the chamber for reburning. Check or replace the EGR and check the air pump.

If you were running rich or lean, your HC would be high.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont forget to overinflate the tires (if you live in an enhanced area).

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

well if it was a mustang cleaning the egr and checking the air pump would be easy

BUT this pos jeep doesnt not have an egr valve, does not have a smog pump, and does appear to have a bad cat

the cat was replaced and sas replaced with a piece of shit cat from who knows where, it is so far down stream i would be surprised if it every got hot enough to work right

so i am putting a new cat on, f**k its expensive for a good one [Mad]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Timming??????? Just a thought

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just add another cat closer to the manifold [Big Grin]

[ August 30, 2005, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Hungry Hippo ]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
just add another cat closer to the manifold [Big Grin]

thats what im going to do homie [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

thats gonna be clean yo! running clean, that is

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hang on, before you go adding cats and stuff like that. Check to make sure fuel pressure is in spec, a clogged fuel filter can cause a lean condition. Also, might want to make sure they had the cooling fan blowing on the front of the Jeep during the test(if outside air temp was over 72 deg during the test they are REQUIRED to have it on). On the printout, check the CO and espically O2 levels, if they are at or near zero the cat is probably fine and you should look elsewhere. If they are higher than that it COULD mean the cat is bad but it could also mean the cat wasnt hot enough during testing. Hope this helps.

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

well i put on a nox buster cat, didnt help
timing is spot on, fuel pressure is fine

the only left to do is replace the O2 sensor, run ome sea foam thorugh it to clean the carbon out of the cylinder (lower compression a little)

and thats it, after that the motor is junk, time to roll the fucker off a cliff

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put a quart of ATF in the tank then fill it up-you'll pass almost 100%
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by rickm237:

this sounds very similar to what sea foam does, cleans the engine out and smokes like crazy for a while

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
quote:
Originally posted by rickm237:

this sounds very similar to what sea foam does, cleans the engine out and smokes like crazy for a while
When i worked at Speedee Oil Change way back when....we used to have a kit that included fuel inj cleaner and some stuff we used via vaccum to clean out the combustion chamber kinda like what you guys were talking about....that and a tune helped a large % of the cars that were borderline.

Then again there were no load based dyno smogs back then [Mad]

Also some stuff called "clean power" helped some borderline cars as well. It was an additive to the fuel system.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com