Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » is it tha alternator or batt???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: is it tha alternator or batt???
SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for SN95_Momba  Ford pictures for SN95_Momba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alright me my friend have a problem my mustang 5.0 i got a brand new optima batt n my car i unhooked tha negative charged and left it sittin out n front of my house cuz i lost my license it wuz left 4 bout 4 or 5 months n wut not n wen i got my licesnce bak i hooked up tha negative charged up n jumper started tha car n wen i wuz done drivin round n came home turned off tha car n cum next day my battery wuz dead im thinkin it wuz tha alternator or my optima batt well i put n a new alt today but i wuz still thinkin if it wuz tha batt or tha alt do yall kno which iz the problem?

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT
1990 Mustang notch LX 331 blown out :(

SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SN95_Momba  Ford pictures for SN95_Momba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
well i put n a new alt today
my car iz n still n tha process of bein recharged at tha moment had 2 add dat n dare..............

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
english, much?

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SN95_Momba  Ford pictures for SN95_Momba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
english, much?
wut im tryin to say is that i dont know if my problem is the alternator or the battery because i dont wanna waste money on a new alternator and the problem was the battery in the first place

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and what i was trying to say is use proper english so we can understand you

you could always take it down to vatozone and get it checked out (actually you can get them both checked out)

have you checked the wiring on the starter solenoid? mine was wired up wrong and not charging the battery, but the alt itself was just fine

[ August 21, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have the charging system tested. I think Kragen still does it for free. That will tell you what's going on. You may have a drain somewhere.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
ciscos91stang
¯
Member # 4274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ciscos91stang  Ford pictures for ciscos91stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont know about optima but if you leave a battery on the ground doesnt it kill it to where it wont work.

--------------------
RPM RACING CREW

SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

quote:
Have the charging system tested. I think Kragen still does it for free. That will tell you what's going on. You may have a drain somewhere.
im tryin 2 find where the drain is at i recharged it now but it sound like its still getting drain

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

ciscos91stang
¯
Member # 4274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ciscos91stang  Ford pictures for ciscos91stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think the cells are dead in the battery

--------------------
RPM RACING CREW

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Nifty50 5500:
quote:
im tryin 2 find where the drain is at i recharged it now but it sound like its still getting drain
Like I said, have the charging system checked. This will tell you if it is your alternator or battery. It could very well be that your battery does not want to hold a charge.

Another thing you could try is to disconnect the battery and charge it overnight to see if it holds a charge.

If your charging system tests ok and the battery holds a charge the get a multi meter and check to see if it is pulling excessive current while the car is off. If it is then start pulling fuses to isolate the problem.

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Should have disconnected the positive cable.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

or both... [Razz]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I where in your shoes the first thing I would do would be to enroll in an english class if you haven't done so already. Second, you should remember that you never ever disconnect any battery cables while the vehicle is running, since such an action will cause a huge voltage spike that will destroy an alternator. [Eek!]

[ August 24, 2005, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

alright i got another problem when I turn my key to start the engine it first starts off then in like 2 or 3 seconds the engine shuts off right away does any body know what the problem is with that? because i tried pushing the gas and brake also and it doesnt seem to stay on

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure how pushing the brake will make the engine stay on??
If you think that pushing the brake will make the engine stay running "PLEASE NEVER GET THE CAR RUNNING"!! I don't want to be on the same road as you....

SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

quote:
Not sure how pushing the brake will make the engine stay on??
If you think that pushing the brake will make the engine stay running "PLEASE NEVER GET THE CAR RUNNING"!! I don't want to be on the same road as you....

wow thanks for the advice man that really help your a great man [Cool] ............not.........

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

quote:
alright i got another problem when I turn my key to start the engine it first starts off then in like 2 or 3 seconds the engine shuts off right away does any body know what the problem is with that? because i tried pushing the gas and brake also and it doesnt seem to stay on
can anyone help me with the problem plz......

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like it needs to be taken to a mechanic to me

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SN95_Momba
¯
Member # 5842

quote:

So I can get ripped off by a mechanic when I can just fix it on my own nope thats ok

--------------------
1990 Mustangh LX/Vert
2000 Mustang GT

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
Originally posted by Nifty50 5500:
quote:

So I can get ripped off by a mechanic when I can just fix it on my own nope thats ok
Could be a lot of things. 1st pull codes and see if anything comes up. Next I would check for vaccum leaks (like really major ones). I had a similar problem when my upper to lower intake gasket wasn't seated right.

When did this start happening? Post some history of this problem it might help.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com