Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GT40 or Cobra (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: GT40 or Cobra
WeSTBaY5.0
¯
Member # 5899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WeSTBaY5.0  Ford pictures for WeSTBaY5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the difference which one would you recommend?

--------------------
Where did my 1100 posts go??
*originally Member number 4736*

1996 Cobra

1991 NOTCHBACK 43k FORD SALE

Posts: 681 | From: Redwood City | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gt40
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cobra is much cheaper and you can port. I ran the Cobra intake and made 425rwhp on my old setup out of the box and I know people than made even more power than that with the cobra intake.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It partially depends on the combo. The GT-40 is a better intake but is much more expensive. If you can pick one up used for cheap that's what I would do.

However, Texas Mustang has a new Cobra intake for $350. You really can't beat that.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive passed smog with the Cobra intake- especially if you take the "Cobra" badge off the top. Gt-40 didnt pass visual. I have a Cobra upper and no lower for sale- $150

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

KRZ89GT
¯
Member # 4273

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KRZ89GT  Ford pictures for KRZ89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gt40 imo and its lighter too!

--------------------
89' bLACk GT (stolen)
KRAZYFORDS

ciscos91stang
¯
Member # 4274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ciscos91stang  Ford pictures for ciscos91stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cobra intake isnt smog legal.

--------------------
RPM RACING CREW

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ciscos91stang:

I find that hard to believe...my car smogged no problem, and it looks close enough to stock to pass (the cobra plate isnt on it)

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89saleen:
Ive passed smog with the Cobra intake- especially if you take the "Cobra" badge off the top. Gt-40 didnt pass visual. I have a Cobra upper and no lower for sale- $150

A GT-40 intake IS smog legal. The CARB number is D-308-10.

If the smog tech won't pass you then print out the document found in this link

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-308.pdf

and bring your Ford Racing catalog with you to show him that the part number in the CARB Executive Order matches your intake.

BTW.. I have passed twice w/ my Gt-40 and not had any hassle.

If the smog tech is going to give you a hard time then I would just go somewhere else.

EDIT: I just read my FMS catalog and it says the GT-40 intake is "not for sale on polution controlled vehicles". Pretty strange contradiction, Ford says it's not legal yet there is a CARB number for it [Confused]

[ August 19, 2005, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive had smog techs not give a damn about what carb #s I brought. Its all about the tech- some dont care, others will tell ya to take a hike. They reserve the right to flunk you for any reason they deem different from stock.
But yes I do believe that the gt40 will pass smog with an agreeable tech and those carb #s.
The gt-40 is a better manifold for out of the box performance IMO.

[Smile] [Smile]

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ciscos91stang:

yes the cobra intake is smog legal,it is a factory Ford part!
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depending on your combo I wouldnt go with either.I personally would suggest the Edelbrock Performer.
86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i thought you was trying to sell a RPM intake, why would you sell that and get one of these

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the cobra intake is not smog legal unless it's an original cobra intake.. meaning it came from a 93 cobra engine.
I talked to a dealer and they told me that .... so whatever.. the people doing the smog check might not even notice..

--------------------
=(

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah but it came stock on the 93 cobras so i dont see how it would not be smog legal.
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
because even ford racing intakes are replicas they are not the original ones that came on 93. it's bs but that's what i was told straight from ford.
good luck

--------------------
=(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Once again, Jersey is wrong [Frown]

I would go with the Cobra. A, it is far less expensive. B, you can port it in the future and make it outflow the GT40.

I just smogged my car with a "Cobra" intake, 24 pound injectors etc. No issues.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Mr 2.19 on slicks [Razz] .. i'm just telling you what the person at the service department told me.
whoever smogged you car probably didn't realize what you had.

[ August 20, 2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya, didn't realize by the fat ass lope of my cam that it wasn't stock [Roll Eyes]

[Big Grin]

[ August 20, 2005, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

funny guy.. mr 14.2 @102 [Razz]

--------------------
=(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
funny guy.. mr 14.2 @102 [Razz]

Ahhh, that's what you ran, that makes sense then [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

don't make me whip the truth serum.. [Big Grin]
[Big Grin] [patriot]
we both know who got those numbers.. [Cool]

On a serious note.. like i said before.. i don't know. that's what i was told at the service department when i picked up the intake... but we all know sometimes those people don't know shiat. so Don is probably right.
Good luck

[ August 20, 2005, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

COBRA INTAKE IS 100% EMISSIONS LEGAL
WeSTBaY5.0
¯
Member # 5899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WeSTBaY5.0  Ford pictures for WeSTBaY5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks Guys for all your help, i think i'm getting the cobra intake. [patriot]

--------------------
Where did my 1100 posts go??
*originally Member number 4736*

1996 Cobra

1991 NOTCHBACK 43k FORD SALE

Posts: 681 | From: Redwood City | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why chose either? They both suck compared to almost every other intake on the market. Go with the holley so you don't have to change intakes later when your combo is choked.

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com