Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » yea or nea???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: yea or nea???
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is anyone Gear Driven??? Im picking up this roller and since its got no heads on it, Im thinking of making it gear driven while Im installing the cam. Whos done a gear drive before??? Yea or nea ???
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nea...do not do gear drive....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
besides the whining, why not?? Isnt the timing right on the money?? Have you heard of them falling apart?? why not
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
actually they do make a quiet drive series...however I have heard fitment issues with them..and i think only pete jackson makes themmafter years ...or if you have a serious motor...the ilders on them go pretty quickly...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I picked up my 5.0 and it came w/ what was said to be an E cam and p. jackson gear drive.

Not too noisy but don't have too many serious mods planned for it so i could probabaly just do fine w/o it and any of the negatives associated with it......but since it's in already it's staying for now [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you heard of a chain falling apart? to me, a gear drive is just as bad as a fake blow off valve

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Chains dont fall apart, but they do stretch over time. Gear drives dont seem like they would have any problems. Im still open to more suggestions though
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why don't you just get the best of both worlds and purchase a quiet drive? That way, you'll have the gear drive without advertising it everywhere you go. Just my opinion.
Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ive heard that all ford gear drives are more on the quiet side because the noise has to travel through all the accessories anyway but whatever Ill probably get it
ciscos91stang
¯
Member # 4274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ciscos91stang  Ford pictures for ciscos91stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but if your motor has a knock sensor,it might not be good

--------------------
RPM RACING CREW

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe I am missing something but what is the purpose of a gear drive besides making noise? I personally would just spend the money on something else that will improve performance.

my 02 cents [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just drain a bunch of fluid from your power steering and tell everyone that you have one....

A big nay from me.

rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

The gear drive is for absolute dead on timing.

Whats a knock sensor, Ive never heard of that???

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rickm237:
The gear drive is for absolute dead on timing.

Whats a knock sensor, Ive never heard of that???

Really... [Roll Eyes]
There is no advantage to using a gear drive over a high quality double roller chain. Cup cars use belts, basically any lower series of circle track racers (arca,hooters cup,etc.) use chains, serious drag racers (pro stock, pro 5.0, any pro series car) use chains or belts.
If you own a 76 Camaro and sport a mullet, call up J.C. Whitney and get yourself a gear drive shipped to your doublewide ASAP. Everyone else, get a double roller chain.

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but chains only last 100k miles

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

quote:
Originally posted by BloodLineSaturn:

Again, I say really.... [Roll Eyes]
Where do you guys come up with this crap?

My 258,000 mile 5.0 has very little slack in the chain, and I am sure that more than a few guys here with high mileage stangs (5.0 AND 4.6) will back me up on that fact. We have modular motors that come into the shop with 300k+ miles that make no noise from the chains - and they are a single roller chain system with nylon guides, about 3 times as long as a 5 liter chain with half the width.

Long gone are the days of nylon covered cam gears my friend. Chains are dependable and long lasting. The automakers haven't made any signifigant changes to chain design in the last 30 years for nothing.

So Bloodline, how many high mileage,gear driven, mullet ride camaros have you torn into to check for gear wear? None would be my guess. Let me know which issue of HOT ROD your statement came from.

rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

OOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Lets keep the peace and bloodline just chill. I think Ill just go with the double roller chain, its cheaper and I guess just as easy to install
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
quote:

My 258,000 mile 5.0 has very little slack in the chain, and I am sure that more than a few guys here with high mileage stangs (5.0 AND 4.6) will back me up on that fact. We have modular motors that come into the shop with 300k+ miles that make no noise from the chains - and they are a single roller chain system with nylon guides, about 3 times as long as a 5 liter chain with half the width.

Long gone are the days of nylon covered cam gears my friend. Chains are dependable and long lasting. The automakers haven't made any signifigant changes to chain design in the last 30 years for nothing.

So Bloodline, how many high mileage,gear driven, mullet ride camaros have you torn into to check for gear wear? None would be my guess. Let me know which issue of HOT ROD your statement came from.

that was joke, you might reconize him from his real name of hungryhippo, he is just making fun of the bloodline racing crew with his new name

gears are better  -

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try this to get the joke
http://www.bloodlineracing.net/

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

WOW!!!! Thats a fast looking jetta hahahahaha what a JOKE
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have heard gear drive is bad because of the vibration that is transfered through the motor. It takes its toll on the bearings after awile. Just somthing I heard one time [patriot]

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
quote:

i meant chains last long enough to not warrant switching to gears. and most people change them by that mark cause they should have heads cam and intake by then. sorry i dont have the pleasure of owning a 258k mile mustang

[ August 18, 2005, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: BloodLineSaturn ]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com