Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what gears for my friend's setup?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what gears for my friend's setup?
akoni
¯
Member # 5119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoni  Ford pictures for akoni    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a buddy of mine just got a vortech s-trim put on his '97 GT. other than the usual bolt ons he also has a pi intake on there and was wondering what gears would be best for this app. keep in mine this is a d/d.

--------------------
1998 Mustang GT

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Auto or 5spd?

Auto...3.73's. 5spd? Honestly, I'd leave them alone. They are 3.27's. If he wants to up it a bit though, 3.55's.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
akoni
¯
Member # 5119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoni  Ford pictures for akoni    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5 speed. he's one of the unlikely ones with 2.73.

--------------------
1998 Mustang GT

04DropTopGT
¯
Member # 5934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04DropTopGT  Ford pictures for 04DropTopGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
still new to this form but....im about to get my gears put in on wed (cant wait) but i dont have a blower. i have heard that if its n/a go 4.10's (stick) or FI go with 3.73's. i would say since he has the blower and its a DD, go with 3.55's or 3.73's MAX. but thats just my .02 cents. good luck with your choice
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.55 if its blown i got 4.10s no blower and they are great!
akoni
¯
Member # 5119

how would 3.73's be since its a modular motor?

--------------------
1998 Mustang GT

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.73s. no question about it...

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Beeing that he has 273's now, I would suggest 3.55's. That is a big step up, and he won't be hurting on the freeway for long trips.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but also being that it's an 97GT, and probably not with the PI heads, he'll need to get into his powerband a little quicker, so 373s would be perfect..

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not to detract from the convo, but why do people typically suggest 4.10s with N/A setups? Is this because N/A typically has less power than a blower/nitrous setup and so you can make it to the end of the track without winding out? I have 4.10s on my N/A setup and I am out of 4th gear and into 5th before i know it. I doubt if I went to the track, I'd be able to stay in 4th while trying to make it to the end.

[ August 12, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: BlacksheepMod50 ]

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

Posts: 288 | From: Fair Oaks (Sacramento) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlacksheepMod50:
Not to detract from the convo, but why do people typically suggest 4.10s with N/A setups? Is this because N/A typically has less power than a blower/nitrous setup and so you can make it to the end of the track without winding out? I have 4.10s on my N/A setup and I am out of 4th gear and into 5th before i know it. I doubt if I went to the track, I'd be able to stay in 4th while trying to make it to the end.

4.10s will allow the motor to rev quicker allowing you to get out of the hole and into the higher rpms.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

akoni
¯
Member # 5119

quote:
Originally posted by Mach0ne351:
but also being that it's an 97GT, and probably not with the PI heads, he'll need to get into his powerband a little quicker, so 373s would be perfect..

marek

yeah, he doesn't have pi heads. he always knew he was going with a blower so he didn't want to up the compression ratio.

--------------------
1998 Mustang GT

03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
3.55 if its blown i got 4.10s no blower and they are great! [/QUOTEi

i agree [patriot] 4.10s are great [burnout]

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

but dont forget, that with 4.10s....traction might a problem from time to time....with 3.73s, you wont have that issue..

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.55's or 3.73's with the blower will work fine.
No more gear than that.

akoni
¯
Member # 5119

one last thing, he just got a great offer for some pi heads and cams. however, since he has a blower should he just forget about it? or should he at least swap in the cams?

--------------------
1998 Mustang GT

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the cams are blower cams i would say do the swap with the heads, but if they are not blower cams other than stock don't do the cams just heads, 3.73's would be a chose on gears since he has a solid rear end and he would still have good traction.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com