Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » battery relocation kit...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: battery relocation kit...
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im thinking of getting a batt relocation kit soon, and i was wondering, if i dont have a on/off switch for the out side would that not pass tech inspection? im thing of getting the moroso box, i have a optima red top, does any body have pictures of there relocation kits? and on/off switch location?  -

[ August 11, 2005, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: two-gun kid ]

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea the on/off switch has to be on the outside of the car.
If something happens to the car the crew has to be able to reach over and shut off the batt!
I like my place the best but there are other ways.
I like to get a lic. plate frame from an older GM
"yea they are good for something" [Wink] that has the tank in the rear like the capice ect. Now take the frame and put it on your car with some spacers to space it out some. I used a bolt on the top to stop it from going in all the way.
Now put your switch behind the plate.
When the plate is on you will never see it.
Also a good way to protect your car from gettin stolen. [Big Grin]
When you get to the track just take the bottom bolts out and remove the plate and there you go!
I know it's long but very easy to do.
Good luck....
Eddie

[ August 11, 2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: h8louzn ]

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/tay-48103_w.jpg
These are the ones we do the most of at the shop. Taylor aluminum kits. It's also the one that'll be going in my car next week.

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The moroso box with vent tube would be adequate for your car since it vents gasses outward. The box must be sealed to prevent gasses from the battery escaping into the cabin area.

The switch is needed for TECH to pass inspection so they would turn off everything in case of an emergency.

A good switch location would be around the license plate area. Since the switch knob itself can be screwed off a small (1/4") drill tip would only be needed to drill through the license plate frame to install the switch properly.

Good luck.

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run the Moroso, looks and works great, I didnt have any tech issues with it at sac, no on/off switch (yet)

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got this idea from some guy on turbomustangs....just giving people ideas... [Smile]

-

-

good luck

Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Almost like mine it works great!
If you put the GM plate frame on there you can lift it up to shut off the battery when parking it at the mall or where ever!
Nobody will be the wiser.

[ August 11, 2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: h8louzn ]

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what i was thinking was that i wanted to have the on/off swithc somwhere by the plates but i didnt know how to put it there,h8luosn do you have a picture of what your talking about because i kinda get what your talking about that gm cars had the liscence plate frame that had a spring on the bottom so you pull the top of the plate outward and would reveal the tank, 0nesicklx what size stud did you use for the top holes?
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
0nesicklx what size stud did you use for the top holes? [/QB]
sorry but dont remember, but i do remenber that i did not have to drill...the holes were pre made, all i hade to do is remove the plastic clips that were in the hole...there is also holes on the plates that are pre made, get bolts that fit nice on the pre made plate holes...hope it makes sense..good luck
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

so there are the same size screws that hold that plate down i just need to find studs that are longers, do you know the length of the stud?
also what size disconnect sould i get? the battery i have is optima red top, should i get the 175amps or 300 amps?

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

onesicklx would it be possible for you to measure the legnth of the studs that you used, and how are they setup? from the picture it looks like the stud has a nut on it to hold it and then at the end you have wing nuts on it.
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
onesicklx would it be possible for you to measure the legnth of the studs that you used, and how are they setup? from the picture it looks like the stud has a nut on it to hold it and then at the end you have wing nuts on it.

ok ill measured later, yes, i did used a nut to hold the bolt in place, then i put a copper tube spacer(about 1 1/2 long).then another nut to hold the copper spacer in place...

good luck

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

is the copper spacer an actuall tube for plumbing? i went to home depot to see it could find one, and i found a few but dont know what size i would need, and i found a ehaust stud kit at kragen that would seem to work also, where did you get the spacer from?
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

yes, the copper tube for pluming...i got the copper spacer from orchard supply...the stud is 2 1/2 inches...remenber to get the right nuts, you will need 2 for each stud...
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

so let me get this right, so you screwed the tube in to the hole and used the nut to stop it, then on the other end you used the nut so the plates wouldnt slide back, and the wing nut to hold the plate to the nut,

what size battery disconnect would i need, im using a optima red top, would i need a 175 amp or 300 amp switch?

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
so let me get this right, so you screwed the tube in to the hole and used the nut to stop it, then on the other end you used the nut so the plates wouldnt slide back, and the wing nut to hold the plate to the nut,

what size battery disconnect would i need, im using a optima red top, would i need a 175 amp or 300 amp switch?

yes, to your first question...im not sure what amp you need, i just got the standard summit on/off switch...
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

does any one know which battery disconnect i will need the 175 amp or 300 amp? i have aoptima red top

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com