Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » engine codes 41 and 91

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: engine codes 41 and 91
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my 89 fox's engine light comes on after driving for a little bit, and turns off if you restart the car. I pulled the codes and got 41 and 91 in the stored codes, which means it's running lean. this makes sense cuz it gets really bad gas mileage cuz the computer would be dumping fuel to richen it up. what should I check first? the fuel pump is really loud, should I replace that?

edit: upon further searching it seems 41 and 91 are the o2 sensors...guess i get to spend a shitload of money on new ones [Frown]

[ August 09, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or Buy these???????????

86-93 O2 Sensor Harness $35.00

86-93 O2 Sensors $25.00/pair

Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car would throw those codes sometimes when going up hills. I would just clean the egr valve and it would go away for a quite a while.
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I sometimes get the code for the egr position sensor not giving the right voltage (34 IIRC) would that cause it?

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I pulled codes the other day KOEO (o) and got code 34 in stored memory (c). Same EGR hoopla. But code 34 stands for 3 different things so it could be any one of them! They all have to do with the EGR, so, I am going to run a KOER (r) test tomorrow to see whats up and go from there... I will let you know [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also, if I read my Haynes manual correctly, if you don't have the coolant lines hooked up to the egr spacer then the PSV on the EGR will not work properly. I forget what it stands for at the moment but it senses when the coolant has reached operating temp. and signals the EGR. That could be something worth looking at IF you disconnected those lines. If not, nevermind [Wink]

I disconnected those lines and I am getting 34 from continuous memory. SO, like I said, I will run the KOER test manana. Everything else checked out perfect.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

well I have a cobra intake so there's nowhere to hook those lines up...

Im also getting a code 29 now

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
I sometimes get the code for the egr position sensor not giving the right voltage (34 IIRC) would that cause it?

Here ya go hope this hels!

Code 34 Or 334 - EGR voltage above closed limit - Failed sensor, carbon between EGR pintle valve and seat holding the valve off its seat. Remove the EGR valve and clean it with carbon remover. Prior to re-installing see if you can blow air through the flange side of the EGR by mouth. If it leaks, there is carbon stuck on the pintle valve seat, replace the EGR valve ($85-$95).

If the blow by test passes, and you have replaced the sensor, then you have electrical ground problems. Check the resistance between the black/white wire on the MAP/BARO sensor and then the black/white wire on the EGR and the same wire on the TPS. It should be less than 1 ohm. Next check the resistance between the black/white wire and the negative battery post. It should be less than 1 ohm.

Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter.

Let’s put on our Inspector Gadget propeller head beanies and think about how this works:
The EGR sensor is a variable resistor with ground on one leg and Vref (5 volts) on the other. Its’ resistance ranges from 4000 to 5500 Ohms measured between Vref & ground, depending on the sensor. The center connection of the variable resistor is the slider that moves in response to the amount of vacuum applied. The slider has some minimum value of resistance greater than 100 ohms so that the computer always sees a voltage present at its’ input. If the value was 0 ohms, there would be no voltage output. Then the computer would not be able to distinguish between a properly functioning sensor and one that had a broken wire or bad connection. The EGR I have in hand reads 700 Ohms between the slider (EPV) and ground (SIG RTN) at rest with no vacuum applied. The EGR valve or sensor may cause the voltage to be above closed limits due to the manufacturing tolerances that cause the EGR sensor to rest at a higher position than it should.

This will affect idle quality by diluting the intake air charge

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com