Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need SMOG, please help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need SMOG, please help
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69DodgeCharger  Ford pictures for 69DodgeCharger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello,

I have a fulley built cobra that doesnt pass visual (longtubes) or emissions (no cats) and I was wondering if anyone on this site has any smog hook ups. I'm not a cop or anything like that, I just need a SMOG and I am willing to pay good $money$ for it. If you knowanyone or if you are that someone please PM me. Also I will pay a finders fee!
Thanks

--------------------
I do installs and vehicle transport
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T
496 big block, TKO, Dana 60

69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69DodgeCharger  Ford pictures for 69DodgeCharger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bump

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

bump

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me know if you find anything. i'm also intersted asap.

--------------------
=(

X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think you are gonna find anyone stupid enough to reply to this. [Eek!]
Posts: 181 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah it's getting harder to find a smog hook-up nowadays.

No owner is willing to gamble with thousands of dollars in fines and getting their place shut down for a $50 smog.

Your best bet would be talking to bay area mustang tuners to get their resources.

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's funny how that works..
a couple of my friends have been told straight up that their cars would not pass smog but they could be "help" for $$$$. why can't i have that luck?

--------------------
=(

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What I don't get is why anyone would build a car in the *hopes* of finding someone to smog it when the time comes. [Confused]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

i guess because that time only comes once every two years. my friends cars won't pass smog not becuase of performance mods but because they are old buckets.. [Razz]

--------------------
=(

69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
What I don't get is why anyone would build a car in the *hopes* of finding someone to smog it when the time comes. [Confused]

cause its not that hard to find people to smog it, just costs a little $$$$ wich I dont mind.

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

evintho
¯
Member # 5536

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for evintho  Ford pictures for evintho  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the car is already registered in your name, and you have a relative that lives outside the 9 bay area counties, just submit a change of address form and have it registered outside of the enhanced smog area. Outside of the enhanced area, you only need to smog it on change of ownership. So if you had it smogged when you originally bought it, your covered until you sell it!

I know up here in the North Bay, Windsor is the cutoff line. My brother-in-law lives in Cloverdale. If I can't get mine past the refs, I'm gonna register it in Cloverdale. If a cop pulls me over and asks why my reg and license addresses don't match, I'll say it's because I own 2 homes.

--------------------
'89 Mustang LX droptop running a turbocharged 2.3, and proud of it!!
Check out 'Thunderstang'!

Posts: 285 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
QUOTE:If the car is already registered in your name, and you have a relative that lives outside the 9 bay area counties, just submit a change of address form and have it registered outside of the enhanced smog area. Outside of the enhanced area, you only need to smog it on change of ownership. So if you had it smogged when you originally bought it, your covered until you sell it!

I know up here in the North Bay, Windsor is the cutoff line. My brother-in-law lives in Cloverdale. If I can't get mine past the refs, I'm gonna register it in Cloverdale. If a cop pulls me over and asks why my reg and license addresses don't match, I'll say it's because I own 2 homes.

They are getting wise to this trick. I was told this does not work anymore. I think you'll have to show proof of your second home matching your cars registration. Also the goal is to have smog checks in EVERY county. Supposedly in a year or two there won't be a single place that doesn't do smog checks.

evintho
¯
Member # 5536

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for evintho  Ford pictures for evintho  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didn't mean to imply that it was an 'end all, fix all' solution, but it should be able to get you past the bi-annual smog check. If you submitted a change of address form, why would DMV require proof of residence? As a matter of fact, DMV sends you a change of address form every year with your annual registration! I've moved before and submitted a change of address on several of my cars. 4 weeks later I received new registration with my new address. No proof of residence required!

Granted, if you ever get pulled over, the cop may get testy because your reg and d/l address don't match and that could send up a red flag with DMV - I don't know. But, you can only cross one bridge at a time. My idea has worked for people I know. Can't say I've done it yet, though. I'll find out for myself in a couple of months! But hey, 69DodgeCharger can give it a shot........it's a better alternative than not being able to drive your car, at all! [burnout]

--------------------
'89 Mustang LX droptop running a turbocharged 2.3, and proud of it!!
Check out 'Thunderstang'!

Posts: 285 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 69DodgeCharger:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

cause its not that hard to find people to smog it, just costs a little $$$$ wich I dont mind.
That was before they used the dyno's. Good luck. The setup they have now from what I understand, sends a picture of the car to the dmv while or after it is being tested. I know a friend of mine got a fine a few years back and they took his license away and nailed him with a 50,000 dollar fine.

Good Luck.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some ideas, I know forced induction cars actually run cleaner (usually) than NA cars, and usually can pass the sniffer. If you have doubts, there are some things you can do that are actually legal, and do help. Of course run the highest octane you can get, there's a 76 pump in Redwood City on Woodside Road that pumps 100 unleaded. There's also a product called "guarunteed to pass smog" made by CRC. Think its about $20-$30, and is carried at Kolhweiss Autoparts in Redwood City. Also, getting the exhaust super hot helps a lot, just drive in 3rd on the freeway for 5 minutes. Maybe things you've already thought of, maybe not. I know my car passed sniffer no prob running 5psi of boost on 91 Octane. Hope this helps.
dpracingdan
¯
Member # 5778

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dpracingdan  Ford pictures for dpracingdan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ALSO--- It's worth the trouble to install a section of your pipes with "quick change" cats. I had to do this on my rally car since all rally cars are "street legal". If you need to, I have a short setup for fox body with 2 new cats and mufflers. Its a side dump system, and is setup for shorty headers, but I'd let you change the setup as long as if fit my (now long pipe) 5.0 when you were done.
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

thanks for the ideas, I have found a hookup, though they will remain nameless.

I bet the car would pass emissions if I put some cats on it (the blue one passed making 405wrhp), however I just dont feel like chancing it or making a custom x pipe to fit my longtubes. I think the thing about them taking pictures of the car is bogus though.

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dpracingdan:
Some ideas, I know forced induction cars actually run cleaner (usually) than NA cars, and usually can pass the sniffer. If you have doubts, there are some things you can do that are actually legal, and do help. Of course run the highest octane you can get, there's a 76 pump in Redwood City on Woodside Road that pumps 100 unleaded. There's also a product called "guarunteed to pass smog" made by CRC. Think its about $20-$30, and is carried at Kolhweiss Autoparts in Redwood City. Also, getting the exhaust super hot helps a lot, just drive in 3rd on the freeway for 5 minutes. Maybe things you've already thought of, maybe not. I know my car passed sniffer no prob running 5psi of boost on 91 Octane. Hope this helps.

what does heating the tips do?

bassani has those quick chamge cats that your taking about where you can take a the cat out and replace it with a tube and be off road

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
quote:
Originally posted by dpracingdan:

what does heating the tips do?

bassani has those quick chamge cats that your taking about where you can take a the cat out and replace it with a tube and be off road

Cats need to be a certain temp(around 600 deg) to work. In general the hotter the exhaust is the lower your numbers will be(as long as the cats are working in the first place.

Also that thing about taking a picture of the car is bogus. All that basically changed when we went to an Enhanced program was the style of test(loaded dyno vs idle/2500) and OBDII cars get a functional test(maybe thats how the picture myth started).

I have an idea that may sound strange but... why not buy parts with CARB#'s on them and then you wont have to worry about getting a "hookup".

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo:

I have an idea that may sound strange but... why not buy parts with CARB#'s on them and then you wont have to worry about getting a "hookup".

nah, that will never work.
ps- once you get longtubes, you'll never go back [Big Grin]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

BlownCobra98
¯
Member # 5943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownCobra98  Ford pictures for BlownCobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get rid of the longtubes just for the smog
Posts: 142 | From: Carmichael | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

QUOTE: get rid of the longtubes just for the smog.

What a pain in the butt. Not exactly a fun swap in my book, but I know some do it.

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i do it [Smile]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LMFAO, you want to run 87 octane, NOT HIGHER. About 1/4 tank.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com