Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » engine knocking when at a stop.??? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: engine knocking when at a stop.???
1EVLSNKE
¯
Member # 4789

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 1EVLSNKE  Ford pictures for 1EVLSNKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 96 mustang 4.6 supercharged.it started making a knocking sound when at a stop,it wasnt making this sound before.i changed the spark plugs,i went from motor craft to ngk v-power and i gapped them at .40. could that be the problem?? other than that knocking sound the car runs fine. i need help??

--------------------
LS WHAT
ORGANIZATION
VICTORIES:
GM INC,1 Sic formula(FRDEATR)

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
arent those ngk's platinum? I know that you are never supposed to run platinum plugs on a s/c car.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1EVLSNKE
¯
Member # 4789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1EVLSNKE  Ford pictures for 1EVLSNKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they are iridium copper spark plugs. could that be the problem???

--------------------
LS WHAT
ORGANIZATION
VICTORIES:

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the only thing you changed is the plugs, that would be your issue. check the gap on the new ones and try the motorcrafts again

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like spark knock, spark knock isn't good.
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much boost are you runnin? Do you have an aftermarket ignition?How long after the spark plug change did you notice the noise? Good luck

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

1EVLSNKE
¯
Member # 4789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1EVLSNKE  Ford pictures for 1EVLSNKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its been 300 miles since i installed the ngk. what ive noticed is that it starts to make that knocking sound and then goes away and them comes back. what are some good spark plugs for a supercharged 4.6, think its running 8pounds of boost or so. need help.....

--------------------
LS WHAT
ORGANIZATION
VICTORIES:

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull out the plugs and check em.

[ August 08, 2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Joooestang66:
Sounds like spark knock, spark knock isn't good.

Wow, I have never heard of spark knock at idle.
Don't think that would be it!!

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your plug wires. I had one of mine fall off and it sounded like I had a knock or valve tick.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
1EVLSNKE
¯
Member # 4789

all wires look good,since the spark plugs im running are NGKs tr-55 and there stock heat range and i heard that isnt good.i was told to run colder spark plugs.so i went out and got some motorcraft -22c (ford lighting)spark plugs that are colder than stock and im gapping them at .34 ill see how that works out. thanks to everyone for their input. [patriot]

--------------------
LS WHAT
ORGANIZATION
VICTORIES:

1EVLSNKE
¯
Member # 4789

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 1EVLSNKE  Ford pictures for 1EVLSNKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i took off the ngk spark plugs and 7 of them where kind of green from the hook,and 1 of them had the hook smashed and was full of oil. what could of caused that??? need help.. [Confused]

--------------------
LS WHAT
ORGANIZATION
VICTORIES:

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BLOWN 4.6:
i took off the ngk spark plugs and 7 of them where kind of green from the hook,and 1 of them had the hook smashed and was full of oil. what could of caused that??? need help.. [Confused]

Either the electrode was damaged on install or something in the combustion chamber made contact with it.

Pics would help.

How does the oil look any particles?

Possibly bent or broken valve?

A compression test may help if the car is running rough.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

1EVLSNKE
¯
Member # 4789

the car is running fine,the only thing is that at a stop it sometimes makes a kncking sound???

--------------------
LS WHAT
ORGANIZATION
VICTORIES:

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

broken piston, for sure.... Come on down and get a quote on an engine...

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, time for a new motor.
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CDT and Stoauto know what they are doing so not surprised to hear such an immediate and what seems to be a definitive answer.

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to watch your plug depth. Different heads have different plugs. What heads are you running, and what plugs? I sincerely hope your plugs aren't too long.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Evan don't know squat!! [Wink]
1EVLSNKE
¯
Member # 4789

thats funny cause the car has been running fine ever since i changed the plugs..

--------------------
LS WHAT
ORGANIZATION
VICTORIES:

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
run it a day or to now and check a sparkplug again see how it looks, eddie

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
quote:

Either the electrode was damaged on install or something in the combustion chamber made contact with it.

Pics would help.

How does the oil look any particles?

Possibly bent or broken valve?

A compression test may help if the car is running rough.

Do a compression test. This will tell you a lot about what is going on. Also, you said that you pulled out the NGKs and inspected them. Did you pull out the plugs you just put in and do the same?

Another thing you may want to do is get a stethescope (sp) and find out which cylinder the knock is coming from and then check that plug and see what it looks like.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey bro, tell us what heads and plugs you have. Post up some pix of the plugs too if you can.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
RobertTS
¯
Member # 1022

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RobertTS  Ford pictures for RobertTS  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a fouled plug what u have there, change the plugs to what you originally had before the knocking sound, Im pretty sure you´ll be ok,,same thing happened to me a long time ago, everyone thought it was a damaged piston but it was only a fouled plug. Try it out. [Wink] [Wink]
stangnut
¯
Member # 5937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangnut  Ford pictures for stangnut    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
COULD BE A BAD BEARING ,THEN DUE TO THE ETRA CLEARENCE THE PISTON HIT YOUR PLUG, NEED TO CHECK BEARING CLEARANCE.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com