Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » harmonic balancer removal

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: harmonic balancer removal
93cobracoupestang
¯
Member # 5765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93cobracoupestang  Ford pictures for 93cobracoupestang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do i get this off after i removed the pulley? i borrowed the pulley remover shown in the chiltons manual (looks like a birds foot), but it doesn't seem to work. can i just pry it off?

--------------------
1993 Lx Coupe.....a couple bolt ons.

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't pry it off!!!!

You need to bolt down the remover tool and then begin to tighten the middle bolt which pulls on the pully each turn. I forget what the technical name is but you bolt the tool down, begin tightening the middle bolt, and the balancer begins to slowly pull off the crank snout.

Is your tool a remover/installer? If so, then try turning it around and using it the other way. YOu may have it backwards if it doesn't seem to be working.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You DID remove the 15/16" bolt/washer that holds it on, right?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
93cobracoupestang
¯
Member # 5765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93cobracoupestang  Ford pictures for 93cobracoupestang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i removed the 15/16" bolt and the pulley with the four hex head bolts. my problem is that i can't get it off with the pulley remover that i have. its the one that looks like a bird's foot, with three bolts one side, and one on the other.

i think i'm using the wrong pulley remover because the bolt holes don't line up.

--------------------

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just use 2 bolts, the 2 that are directly across from each other. Just use your crank pulley bolts, and then tighten the center down and the balancer will slide off.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
93cobracoupestang
¯
Member # 5765

i did that and i successfully lodged the middle, large bolt into the center hole of the crankshaft. maybe i'm using the wrong removing tool.

--------------------

2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have to put the 15/16" bolt back in there about 10 threads and the removel tool will work fine after that.
The middle bolt needs to set on top of the crank bolt.
Hope that helps ya.
Aslo hope you didn't mess up the threads in the crank when you got the puller stuck in the crank!
Good luck.
Eddie

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by h8louzn:
You have to put the 15/16" bolt back in there about 10 threads and the removel tool will work fine after that.
The middle bolt needs to set on top of the crank bolt.
Hope that helps ya.
Aslo hope you didn't mess up the threads in the crank when you got the puller stuck in the crank!
Good luck.
Eddie

oHhch! tHAT WOULD SUCK! joCO lET ME BORROW HIS TOOL AND slipped out Just like a Condom [patriot]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com