Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » exhaust pipes, whats legal and illegal?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: exhaust pipes, whats legal and illegal?
akoni
¯
Member # 5119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoni  Ford pictures for akoni    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as the thread title says, whats considered a legal exhaust pipe and whats not? i see all these guys with side exhausts or having dumps right after the mufflers so yea.

--------------------
1998 Mustang GT

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i heard that you have to have exhaust thats over the axle to be legal. i think that as long as the tips can be seen you should be ok
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it passes smog and is not too noisy it's legal, otherwise its not

dumps are alright as long as you have mufflers

Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Technicaly you can't modify the exhaust period,unless the stock stuff is bad,like burnt out cats,holes in muffler etc.

You can get away with headers if they come with C.A.R.B. certifcation,high flow catted h-pipe,and they typicaly leave you alone with performance mufflers/catback. [patriot]

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60106

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
akoni
¯
Member # 5119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for akoni  Ford pictures for akoni    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so pretty much if you still have the cats on and mufflers on and the sound isn't over the sound limit then you're good to go?

--------------------
1998 Mustang GT

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as it's under 95db, you'll be fine. But, that doesn't mean you won't get pulled over if your car is loud. A cop isn't going to have a decible meter in their trunk, if they think it's too loud, you will be ticketed. And, it's not up to them to prove you're guilty, you have to prove your innocence with a certificate of compliance.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
akoni
¯
Member # 5119

so dumps on my dynomax race bullets would prolly exceed that huh?

--------------------
1998 Mustang GT

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that and I believe you cannot have the ehxaust exit from underneath the car at a point where it could get into the passenger compartment

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by akoni:
so dumps on my dynomax race bullets would prolly exceed that huh?

hey whats up man im over here in fremont to. just wanted to know where did you get those mufflers? i had a pair before bu i sold them, they sound hella good. What store you baught them at pls let me know eddie. get a cat back system for those muff. they sound good

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just as a side note:
I recently got cited for loud exhaust... (LT headers, off-road Xpipe, mac cat back)... I was told i had to go to the BAR to show compliance. I switched back to stock exhaust manifolds, stock H-pipe with 6 cats (you know that knocks the sounds WAY down). and my aftermarket mac system. I registered on the DB meeter at 96.3db... legal limit is 95db [BS flag] with a -/+ 1.5db tolerance. I failed by the set limit, but passed by their tolerance by .2db and my car wasn't even close to what I would consider loud.

They are really strict with the db limits. With all this cracking down happening lately i'd be careful when/if considering exhaust systems or components

[ August 11, 2005, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: BlacksheepMod50 ]

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

Posts: 288 | From: Fair Oaks (Sacramento) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Man I'm now real glade I'm building a 55 ford and sold the stang.
No smog and not many problems with getting pulled over as most people that have old cars are old! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I do think it's [BS flag] that they target loud exhaust, but I know I hate some of them when behind them. [Mad] [Mad]
There is no need to have 1 chamber flows no cats and rev it to 6000 just to hear your exhaust make noise!!!
A little common sence works wonders!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com