Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » won't crank/ weird noise

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: won't crank/ weird noise
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I just put in a new engine in and have been driving it around a little to get it broken in. If i shut it off and tried to restart it again it would have a hard time cranking over (almost like a dying battery). One of the ground cables would start to smoke when trying to start it(the one on the drivers side that connects from the firewall to engine). Thats the original problem, now...
I tried to start it up a few days ago and the car had full power but would not crank over in the slightest.

So i replaced the starter and the solonoid and double checked all the connections. It still wont crank at all. But now it makes a strange electrical buzzing noise near the new solonoid whenever i attempt to start it... but like i said, no movement from the starter.

Any ideas would be very appreciated

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have a shitty ground from the battery to the chassis.

replace the terminals on the battery ground, and if its a trunk mounted battery ground it to a quad shock mounting bolt, and run another ground from the front of the drivers side head (or off the p/s bracket) to the sway bar bushing mount bolts on the drivers side frame rail

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check this out http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=587218

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a trunk mounted battery, and i have not checked all of the grounds yet. Thanks for the advice guys... ill let you know how it goes.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ok, The terminals are very clean, i have a ground wird going from the headbolt on the drivers side to the sway bar bracket, and the battery is grounded to the quad shock. But there is still no difference [Mad]

I should say that I am trying to jumpstart the car... the battery is dead. Not sure if that makes a difference though.

The starter will still not move and it still makes a weird crackling noise in the area of the solonoid.

Any more help guys??
I really want to get this boat running
Thanks for any help [patriot]

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

???

TTT

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How dead is your battery? Once it took two tow trucks to jump my car 'cause my battery was so dead.

When you are jumping the car try letting the car you are jumping from run for a bit with the cables hooked up to build a bit of a charge. If that doesn't work you can try putting the battery on a charger overnight.

If that doesn't work check the cable from the relay to the starter and make sure it is tight and the insulation is good.

I actually put a brand new starter that was bad. You could have the same problem. Have you changed the starter relay?

[ July 29, 2005, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Alright, i got the car to crank over and start. It worked after i replaced the battery. Thanks.

Im still having a problem with starting the car after i have already been driving it. After its already started i need to let it sit for at least 5 min till i can start it again.

Its a new engine, new battery, new solonoid, new starter, and i have a 4g ground from rear mount battery to quad and a 4g from head to swaybar mount....

What else can i do to fix this problem???

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you running long tube headers? I have heard of heat related issues if you are running long tubes. Also, double check the cable going from the relay to the starter and make sure it is tight and not damaged.

You could try some sort of heat shield around the starter to see if it fixes the issue.

Like I said in my previous post, I have gotten a new (not remanufactured) starter that was bad. Turns out the post where the high tension (??) cable connects to was loose in the starter and the connection was not good.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

I am not running long tube headers... so thats a no. The cable also seems to be fine and the connection is nice and tight.

Someone told me that they made shims for the starters, is this true??? he said that it backed the starter off just a bit, allowing it to operarte better. he said that is was something chevy had used for a long time and ford started using them recently. Anyone heard of this?

....I may just try a heat shield and replacing the wire

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sound like your starter is getting hot somehow...they do make starter shims....they're like 8 bucks....

However...you might want to think about your coil too?...What type of coil do you have?...IF its any type of oil-filled one...it might be getting hot and could cause an abnormal condition after the car is warm

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Coils are either good or bad, theres no in between.

Now you said that you have to wait about 5 minutes before you can start it again??? Will the car turn over when you turn the key or what exactly does it do???

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure all the grounds are clean and down to bare metal!
I have never heard of anyone using a head bolt for a ground??
I hope you mean a acc. hole in the head and not a head bolt!!!
Also do you have the grounds from the rear of the engine to the firewall and the computer hooked up??
Just some grounds that most people forget!
Good luck.

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Rickm237 - After i start the car (turns over great) and then drive it for even a short distance (like around the block), i cant get it to start back up again. When i turn the key it gives a real feeble attempt to turn over and then nothing. The longer i wait to try and start it again the more crank it gives, but wont actually start for around 10min.

Jordan 0608 - The coil is a MSD and it is brand new.

More help please

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Should i not be using my head bolt as a ground??

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't there are plenty of places on the block to ground it!
Why would you put a terminal under a bolt that you have to torque down??
Also you now have your ground attached to a bolt that should have some sort of sealant on it!
And if you have a problem with the ground what do you have to remove to get the cable off?
The head bolt, and why would you want to untorque and good head bolt??
Not trying to be a smart ass, Just pointing out the reasons not to use that bolt.
Now on off my soap box, and on to the problem.
Do you have someone that can help you trouble shoot the problem?
You would need to have someone try and start the car while you are under the hood.
If so, and you have a VOM find a place that has what you belive is a good ground.
Attach the VOM to that point and to the sel.
See how many volts you have at the SEL.
Now have them try and start the car.
See how many volts you have now.
LMK

[ August 12, 2005, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: h8louzn ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by h8louzn:
I wouldn't there are plenty of places on the block to ground it!
Why would you put a terminal under a bolt that you have to torque down??
Also you now have your ground attached to a bolt that should have some sort of sealant on it!
And if you have a problem with the ground what do you have to remove to get the cable off?
The head bolt, and why would you want to untorque and good head bolt??
Not trying to be a smart ass, Just pointing out the reasons not to use that bolt.
Now on off my soap box, and on to the problem.
Do you have someone that can help you trouble shoot the problem?
You would need to have someone try and start the car while you are under the hood.
If so, and you have a VOM find a place that has what you belive is a good ground.
Attach the VOM to that point and to the sel.
See how many volts you have at the SEL.
Now have them try and start the car.
See how many volts you have now.
LMK

if you actually checkout the link that gave instructions on upgrading the engine ground you would see that it not a HEAD BOLT as in the bolts that hold the head to the block, but a empty hole in the drivers side head facing the front of the car that is threaded, you ground this to the swaybar bolts on the same side using a bolt screwed into the head!

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ya my bad on the ground point... thanks for straightening me out.

I have my computer ground connected, and 1 ground on each side of the engine hooked from the swaybar bracket to the front of the head (not the actual head bolts).

It seems to have helped out a little bit but still has a pretty slow start... im looking into the Sel. now.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd go ahead and sell it...

...to me. [Big Grin]

Wish I could help more though.

[ August 14, 2005, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: section525 ]

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com