Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How to make it faster...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to make it faster...
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright guys, I have a problem. I dont know how to make my car faster. I've ran out of ideas, I feel like I've done everything performance related. Here is my list, does anyone have any ideas on what could possibly be left? Im listing all the things which might affect speed/acceleration that i have done to my vehicle.

98 Mustang GT
4.6 stroked to 5.0
Flat top pistons running 11:1
All forged internals
Non-PI F150 5.4 heads, ported
.5mm oversized exhaust valves
Comp cams stage 1 cams
PI intake manifold
adapter plates for PI --> Non PI intake manifold
High volumne oil pump
A/C has been removed
Long tube headers
O/R Bassani X
Mac Flow Path cat back
Tubular K member
Tubular A arms
High volume oil pump
Pullys
Acufab plenum
Acufab 75mm throttle body
Mac cold air
Autologic chip
4:10s
90MM MAF

And of course I have all the supporting hardware like upgraded clutch, upgraded fuel system etc.

Here are my few ideas, but these are things I am thinking I will want to do after I've done any other large items which I might be missing:

- Alumn drive shaft (gains seem [Roll Eyes] )
- Upgrade my cold air to have larger intake tube
- Im tossing my chip and getting a flash because im running on a blind tune
- Upgrading my cams to stage 2 or 3, but im worried about piston to valve clearance with the flat tops. (i've had pistons hit valves 2 times in the past, I fear that concept more than the devil himself [Mad] )

Those all seem like basic things to do... past that I can't think of anything else I can do short of pulling my powersteering, and putting on nitrous.

Ideas? I want more speed!

[ July 14, 2005, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: GTMustangAlisa ]

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

Posts: 288 | From: Fair Oaks (Sacramento) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe a hit of N20?

Failry cheap and proven to make you [Big Grin]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seems like your all setup for nitrous, why would you want to do anything else? Spray that bitch.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mr JoCo:
Seems like your all setup for nitrous, why would you want to do anything else? Spray that bitch.

[worship]

You could always get a "flip-chip" for use w/ the sauce....while still getting optimum performance while in "street-driving" mode especially with that comp.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2003 cobra mod?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've always been a huge advocate of "the most powerful Non N/A engines start out as being the most powerful N/A engines". I want it to be the most it can possibly be (and I think im almost there) before I hit it with the juice. But that is my plan, Nozzel kit (direct port injection). I am just waiting to get another vehicle because this bad boy is my daily driver right now and i know if I throw some N20 at it, somethings going to break - no questions about it.

[ July 14, 2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: GTMustangAlisa ]

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by GTMustangAlisa:
I've always been a huge advocate of "the most powerful Non N/A engines start out as being the most powerful N/A engines". I want it to be the most it can possibly be (and I think im almost there) before I hit it with the juice. But that is my plan, Nozzel kit (direct port injection). I am just waiting to get another vehicle because this bad boy is my daily driver right now and i know if I throw some N20 at it, somethings going to break - no questions about it.

I beg to differ [Frown]

I wouldn't say for sure something will break....if used correctly and not abused i would think nothing would break except a clutch but that's probably expected w/ that much TQ.

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GTMustangAlisa:
I've always been a huge advocate of "the most powerful Non N/A engines start out as being the most powerful N/A engines".

Seriously? How does that work? For one thing aren't compression ratios seriously a damper on such a proposition?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not talking about the obvious stuff like that, but the things such as exhaust, your entire intake track etc.. If you take a stock mustang and throw a blower on it.. great, you got more HP. if that setup already had heads and cams, the blower is going to come alive. Put nitrous on my vehicle without my LT and my cams etc and my high compression, your'e going to have an entirely different and much weaker response.

All those things i listed above about my car I've done myself, including rebuiling the engine, meassuring all my tolerances, etc. so im aware of the fact that if you put 18CC pistons in a vehicle its not gonna run nearly as well as the stock pistons, but you get the gist of what im saying.

Also, I could pull out the article that I read in 5.0 magazine about an 800HP modular build up which is where I read that comment from a pro engine builder and it has stuck with me over time.

Im just meerly(sp?) saying that I want want to have all the base power i can before I move into alternate methods of increasing power in my vehicle

[ July 14, 2005, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: GTMustangAlisa ]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nitrous likes compression, boost doesn't

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Guys, does something seem a little off in this post? Alisa, did you build this car yourself?

I would just expect more "involved" questions from someone that has the mods you claim to have.

Either way, good luck [patriot]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Built it myself including the engine.. what do you mean more involved questions?

BTW - Name is Ryan.. I actually ditched this SN about 1 year ago, but I haven't been on the boards in quiet a while (see the low number of posts) so I forgot that I had ditched it and just ended up logging in under this one. My mistake

[ July 14, 2005, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: GTMustangAlisa ]

--------------------

X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Out of the items you listed, I think the only one that might make a significant difference is a bigger cam. You pretty much have everything. I would spray it if I was you.
Posts: 181 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
X97headswap
¯
Member # 5210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for X97headswap  Ford pictures for X97headswap    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BTW, what kind of power are you making right now? Sounds like it should be a pretty strong runner.
Posts: 181 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

I dont know what power im running right now. I am having problems getting my air/fuel rations correct because I've always had exhaust leaks from my headers. THe headers i have are the worse design I've ever seen and make it nearly impossible to get certain bolts through certain holes in the header, let alone have the bolts get enough grip in the head to suck the header in tight. Needless to say the exhaust leak is throwing the A/Fs off and now I have a blown header gasket.

Just FYI to anyone - do not buy Jet Hot headers for the 98, the bolts they sent me wern't even the right ones, its of a slip fit design for the drivers side, so there is a minor exhaust leak there and its just hard to get to bolt up. I now have stripped out head bolt holes, and will prob have the helicoil them.

As soon as I get numbers, I'll let everyone know.. just a lot more work needs to be done to the car to make it "solid".

Thx everyone.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com