Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what the hell is wrong?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what the hell is wrong?
marc
¯
Member # 4238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for marc  Ford pictures for marc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok this is on my 95gt

My dad replaced the ac pump and replaced the lower intake gaskets

We started the car up and the engine was shaking crazy then just died we think it is a timing problem but we have moved the distributor every way possible, some positions it starts then shakes hard then dies. when the #1 piston is at 0 degrees the piston is actually at the bottom. im starting to think that somehow the harmonic balancer is thrown off and making the motor shake.

Any help would be great

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Distributer was put back in 180* out.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:

when the balancer reads 0* the piston is always at the top

the cam is just not in the right sequence

marc - just to make sure, you are saying #1 piston is on the passenger front, just checking [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:

but this is still probably the problem

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

marc
¯
Member # 4238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for marc  Ford pictures for marc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yup the #1 piston is still the one closest to the front on the passenger side unless FORD is playing a joke on me

OK soo if im 180 out would you be so kind to give me a walk through on what to do

Should i lift up the dist and turn the rotor around

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

easiest way to make sure its in right

take out #1 spark plug, put finger over plug hole

rotate motor clockwise until pressure builds up working againsts your finger

this gets you on the compression stroke, bring the balancer to 0*, if the balancer isnt horribly off, this will get you close to TDC

install the dist with the rotor point to the #1 terminal on the cap

fire it up and time it

if the balancer is WAY of, then you needed to get a thin rod, like welding wire or something like it, then put it through the spark plug hole and rotate the motor until the rod is at its highest point, that will be TDC of the motor, and again, you have to be on the compression stroke to set the dist to #1

where are you in concord, i might be able to help you out tommorrow night after i get off work

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

marc
¯
Member # 4238

im in clayton which is practically concord its at the end of ygnacio and concord blvd area but imma try to crank it out tonight ill keep u posted i really appreciate the help.
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by marc:
im in clayton which is practically concord its at the end of ygnacio and concord blvd area but imma try to crank it out tonight ill keep u posted i really appreciate the help.

over by navlet's nursery, im over there a few times a week for work

let me know

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Waht a nice guy! [patriot]
Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
marc
¯
Member # 4238

ok here's what happened

the balancer is secured by a woodruff pin that locks it into position. well before i has the car someone took off the bal;ancer and left the pin off so when my ac stopped working and the pump wouldnt turn the belt made the balancer turn throwing everything off

But AC Cobra you helped me out a lot im less then 2 miles from navalet's let me know if you ever wanna meet up or need some parts or something

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

glad you figured it out

wear you able to get a key for it

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by marc:
ok here's what happened

the balancer is secured by a woodruff pin that locks it into position. well before i has the car someone took off the bal;ancer and left the pin off so when my ac stopped working and the pump wouldnt turn the belt made the balancer turn throwing everything off

But AC Cobra you helped me out a lot im less then 2 miles from navalet's let me know if you ever wanna meet up or need some parts or something

Wow. That's big goof. Good find.
marc
¯
Member # 4238

yup i had a key on a motor that i have in the garage don't let stupid people service your car is all i have to say

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com