Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 2000 cobra engine swap into 1996 mustang

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 2000 cobra engine swap into 1996 mustang
Inverse
Member # 5467

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Inverse  Ford pictures for Inverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a few questions, what kind of problems am I going to run into if I attempt to swap a 2000 complete cobra engine and tranny into my 1996 mustang?
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
welcome to the site!
do you have a v-6, gt or cobra?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
first off welcome and like 94 GT said what kind of car do you have to start with?
Inverse
Member # 5467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inverse  Ford pictures for Inverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 1996 v6 automatic [Frown] I planned to either sell it and buy a gt or to do a tranny and an engine swap. The car only has 50,000 miles on it!
MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think what you meant is either a 99 or 01 cobra motor. There will be no fitment issues, just a ton of smaller issues. Do you have a tranny to go with it?

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

Inverse
Member # 5467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inverse  Ford pictures for Inverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think I'm going to buy the complete engine, tranny and wiring harness from ford racing.
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buying that combo from FR is probably worth more than the car's blue book value. I would'nt do it unless you expect keeping the car for a long time.
zinc00gt
¯
Member # 468

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for zinc00gt  Ford pictures for zinc00gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MINGRYGT:
I think what you meant is either a 99 or 01 cobra motor. There will be no fitment issues, just a ton of smaller issues. Do you have a tranny to go with it?

Actually Ford does sell 00 Cobra motors even tho there wasnt a cobra in 2000.

[ June 27, 2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: zinc00gt ]

Posts: 260 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by zinc00gt:
quote:

[Confused] I thought that was the year the 2000 Cobra R came out [Confused]

[Razz]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
quote:
Originally posted by zinc00gt:
quote:

[Confused] I thought that was the year the 2000 Cobra R came out [Confused]
hehehe, he must be new
[Razz]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Inverse
Member # 5467

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Inverse  Ford pictures for Inverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
But like I asked before what kind of glitches should I expect to run into. Keep in mind that I plan on using the complete 2000 cobra engine, tranny, computer and wiring harness.
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're not going to find many people who have done this swap because you will soon realize you can buy a REAL 99/01 Cobra with the money you put into it. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a regular V6 Mustang with a Cobra engine, V6 brakes, V6 Seats, V6 Body, etc and absolutely no resale value. Don't forget, you'll also have to get the engine swap approved by the BAR if smog is a concern.

The 2000 Cobra crate motor brand new from FRPP is about the same price as a used 1996 Cobra. Just another option to think about.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DOPE 50
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey bro i would just go and sell your V6,and with that money spend and the money you were going to use for the motor,put it down for a 03-04 COBRA [Wink]
:
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.cobrapoweredgt.com/default.html

Not all the pages are finished, but it will give you an idea of what needs to happen.

If you were going from a 2V to a 4V, I'd say do it. But going from a V6 to a 4V is more difficult since there's more parts to replace. From what I've read on other forums, it's often cheaper to just sell the car and buy a Cobra.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 99 or 00 Cobra motors and trans setups from Ford Racing are NOT ready to run with all the wiring, computer, etc. The wiring is complete up to the harness plug at the passenger side of the firewall. You need to consider this before you plan everything around a FR setup that is incomplete. It is a great way to go if you are replacing a high-mileage motor in a 99 Cobra, if not, be prepared to go into the electrical and fuel systems to get it to run. I put one of the '99 Cobra engine and trans packages in a high- mileage '99 cobra (customer's car) and the guy loves it! For your situation, I would just buy a Cobra. The hassles with wiring and smog are not worth it when you can buy a turn key car for the same money.
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

that and not to mention the fuel system...
just get a mach1 [Big Grin]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com