Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » anyone work on mustangs,i need help!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone work on mustangs,i need help!
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i have a 91 lx 5-speed.my check engine light is on,when my car is idleing and i press on the cluch pedal and hold it down the engine light will go off but when i let off the cluch pedal the car will die,then when i start it back up and let off the cluch it will rev up to about 5000 rpm and stay there until i press the cluch pedal in and let it go then it will try to cut off.i have to keep one of my plugs on the safty start swich under the cluch pedal unpluged so that the car wont cut off,but then sometimes the car wont start up unless i conect it back.dose anyone know why my engine light gose on and off and why i can play with the idle just by pushing the cluch pedal in????

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The best way to figure it out is to dump codes and see what they tell you. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that your clutch position sensor (don't know the real name for it) is going out.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the scaner will not pull any codes,it said (veical not responding) when i tryed to scan.i dont know whats wrong,help please.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The computer needs to know a couple things to do the code reader...it needs to know that the car is in nuetral, and it needs to know that the A/C is off.

Make sure your nuetral safety switch wiring is good, and that the sensor is too.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SilverLX351:
The computer needs to know a couple things to do the code reader...it needs to know that the car is in nuetral, and it needs to know that the A/C is off.

Make sure your nuetral safety switch wiring is good, and that the sensor is too.

i have scanned my car not in neutral, with a snap on scanner, maybe that makes a difference [Confused]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

there is no plug under the car to hook up the safty nutral swich thats on the tranny.its a 4cyl conversion,i have a what i belive to be a safty nutral swich on the tranny but i have no were to hook it up to.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can try and dump the codes through the check engine light (your car is a 87-93 right?). Just ground out the STI terminal and turn the key to the ON position.

I think the car has to be in neutral w/ the parking brake on though [Confused]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

could the wrong computer make that happen,i dont have a a9l i have a weird ass computer,i forget the number,ill check it out when i get home,but could the computer be it???

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this a new problem or has it always done this?

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com