Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Best bang for the buck heads?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Best bang for the buck heads?
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking into getting some heads for my 5.0,whats the best heads for a reasonable price? I was thinking maybe some tfs heads to match my intake. Any heads been proven to make more power than others ?

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge [patriot]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GT40 is the best "bang for the buck"

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I got the vitor jr's would I have to port match to a street heat intake?

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What engine combo are you planning to run?
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:

Not sure,I was originaly thinking TFS heads and cam to match the intake,but I'm not sure if that will meet my power needs. How much power do people typicaly get with the TFS package?

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
Originally posted by Motorhead6T5:
quote:

Not sure,I was originaly thinking TFS heads and cam to match the intake,but I'm not sure if that will meet my power needs. How much power do people typicaly get with the TFS package?
How much power are you looking to put out?
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

quote:
quote:
quote:

How much power are you looking to put out?
I want to run 11's on a 125 shot and dr's. So like 300 rwhp.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u get the trickflow heads and cam, you better be able to get 11's with nitrous

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe with Victor JR's you will have to port match. I think they take the 1262 intake gasket with is taller than the streetheat ports. It is pretty simple to open up. Victor JR is a great head just ask Drew [Wink]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

I would say Twisted Wedge heads with a stage 1 or stage 2 cam and the TFS street intake. You should be putting out about 325HP at the crank w/o the NOS.
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ok thanks,I'm gonna get the twisted wedge heads. That way I can be confident the parts will compliment each other. I guess I could just have the TFS heads ported if I want to go bigger down the road. I'm running a auto,most likley I will convert to a c4 with a high stall. What cam do you think would be best? stage 1 or 2?

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I would say Twisted Wedge heads with a stage 1 or stage 2 cam and the TFS street intake. You should be putting out about 325HP at the crank w/o the NOS.

where the hell did you get that number from

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

with a stage 2 you will have to notch the pistons, with a stage 1 it will clear fine

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will have to cut the pistons on a Stock bottom end to run Vic Jr's....just a FYI [Smile]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow, i'm surprised nobody said AFR. if you ask me, thats the best bang for the buck for an aftermarket head. 3/4 inch thick deck, CNC PORTED! all for like 1350$ new. you cant touch that.
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:
wow, i'm surprised nobody said AFR. if you ask me, thats the best bang for the buck for an aftermarket head. 3/4 inch thick deck, CNC PORTED! all for like 1350$ new. you cant touch that.

is $1350 assembled? and would the ports match right up to a streetheat intake?

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
with a stage 2 you will have to notch the pistons, with a stage 1 it will clear fine

Installed straight up it won't have sufficient clearance to be within spec. [Whoo Whooooo!]

but it will if you retard it 4 degrees. 2 might even do it [burnout]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:

is $1350 assembled? and would the ports match right up to a streetheat intake?
the heads are around 1350$ complete! [Cool] you could probably find a better deal on the corral. i would definately consider atleast looking at the AFRs befor you make your decision.

[ June 12, 2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just ran a comparison of heads on "Desktop Dyno" using factory flow figures and the same cam. For horse power it came out this way.
1. AFR
2. Trick Flow
3. Edelbrock
All three were very close. However, I bet the $ per horsepower ratio would be one of the other heads out there.

cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.adperformance.com

Has them (AFR165's) for $1309.00 shipped to your door! Good luck!

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or AFR165 Competitions-->

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/05/DynoDuel/

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

I've pretty much decided on the TFS twisted wedge heads,1150 from summit,and I have money left over for the cam,pushrods,rockers,etc. Thanks for the help guys,hopfully this thread will help others as well. Now where's my tax return!!! [Mad]

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
those TW's are a good choice. Someone on here is running them on his combo and he's doing 8's in the 1/4. That means potential [Whoo Whooooo!]

You might still be able to getem for $1000. Just gotta hunt for the cheapest price in one of the 5.0 magazines and have summit price match.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have some AFR165's they are used but still in good shape, $900 [Eek!] and have proven higher HP over other heads, LMK.
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com