Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » QUESTIONS RE: 1988 FORD F350 DIESEL

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: QUESTIONS RE: 1988 FORD F350 DIESEL
Team Artiga
Member # 5767

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Team Artiga  Ford pictures for Team Artiga        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My name is George and I am restoring an 88 Ford F350 Diesel which up until one month ago, wasn't running and hadn't been driven since 94. My goal is to get this truck running at it's absolute best and eventually, it will. In the meantime, I do have some questions and would appreciate a hand in pinpointing the problem area or parts that might be attributing to the following factors:

(1) Truck smoking when I step on the gas.
(2) Top speed is 45 MPH at best, there's no power.
(3) Rear antilock brake and engine lights stay on

and lastly...
(4) How to adjust the air and fuel input levels?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
George

[ June 10, 2005, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Team Artiga ]

--------------------
George

Posts: 2 | From: San Jose California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the injector pump timing

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd remove the air inlet for the turbo and check the vanes, if they're pitted or chunks missing, if there's a bunch of dirt in the turbo throat, or if theres a bunch of dirt inside the air inlet tube the motor is "dusted". Dusted means done, the motor could be finished. Im not saying thats what it is but it could save you alot of $$$ and time in trying to get it running.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont think 88's have turbos, at least not stock

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yeah, Im not even sure if they're a Direct Injection motor.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

they use a gear driven injector pump. These are the International 7.3L engines. I didnt think any were still around.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning

Chris Tann
¯
Member # 1444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Tann  Ford pictures for Chris Tann  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Still around? Heh heh, mine'll probably still be pulling stumps after I'm long-gone!

I'd suggest you hop on over to the Ford-truck pre-powerstroke diesel board:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117

I have a 1990 F250 4x4 with the same engine, so I'll give you what help I can. I believe the engine light is actually hooked up to the "TECA" module (Transmission Control Module)- assuming the '88s have the E4OD. Not sure if the ABS goes through there as well, but it could indicate a fried tranny computer. If thats the case, then the tranny will be in fall-back mode, and will probably shift like shit and only give you one or two gears.

As for smoking/no power - could be a lot of things, but probably injector or injector pump.
I can recommend Lee Diesels over on Lelong Street in San Jose - the owner knows the International 7.3l engine inside out. If you want to tackle it all yourself, do yourself a favour and pick up two Haynes manuals: the one for the truck itself (which covers most things except the actual engine), and the Diesel repair manual.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1563922134/qid=1118695872/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2131640-2049716?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156392188X/qid=1118695890/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-2131640-2049716?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

email me if you have more questions,

Chris (web @ christann.com)

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
88 7.3's didn't have E4OD trannies - 89 and up did. The red engine light is probably from a bad oil pressure sender or from the cylinder head temp sender (on the front of the left cyl. head near the exhaust manifold). The smoke is most likely from a bad injection pump. Make sure to check/replace all the cracked fuel lines going to each injector and the line from the frame to the lift (fuel) pump on the right side of the engine. They are notorious for sucking in air and causing a hard start concern. The injector caps and o-rings should also be replaced if it has been sitting for some time.

Diesels don't use a throttle plate, so there is no way to adjust air intake levels - there's just a 5" hole that allows more than enough air in. The fuel injection timing can be advanced a little bit, but the power output is usually not worth the effort. A little timing goes a long way.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com