Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » swapped trannies now Lower Shifter Boot won't fit

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: swapped trannies now Lower Shifter Boot won't fit
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, the tranny swap is done thanks to JohnB. i started taking the console apart today to try to install a lower shifter boot i found in the junkyard and it won't fit.
The holes don't line up!!

Do i need a special shifter boot or do i just have to fabricate one out of aluminum?
 -

-

--------------------
=(

gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I take it you went from auto to stick. The few times that I have done a conversion, I had to trim a part of the floor pan and drill and relocate those existing nutclips. On my cars this was necessary not only to get that boot to fit, but to keep the front edge of the shifter staying in contact with the floor pan as yours looks to be doing the same thing as well. [burnout] [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, you either need to relocate the holes to line up or intall a 5-speed 'hump' section.

They actually made a sheetmetal piece that you would rivet or tack weld in place on the hump when going from auto to stick. They are VERY hard to find now and $$$ when you do find them. I think that www.moderndriveline.com has them for $80 or so. I got one from Charlie Bruno (RIP) for $25 way back when.

I went forever without the lower boot and dealt with the heat and wind coming through there. Then installed the sheetmetal hump finally. Big difference.

I think that you could also go to a junkyard and cut this piece out of an old 5-speed car.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com