Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Doing your own tints?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Doing your own tints?
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know this is general topic sec. but not enough people reply in the tech section. Any helpful tips on doing your own tints? I tried one window yesterday but kinda failed. Any help? Thanks in Advance

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
id save the trouble and get them done at a shop, one air bubble can mess up your tints, besides most places give at least 1 year warranty

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 306Coupe:
i know this is general topic sec. but not enough people reply in the tech section.

It's about quality, NOT QUANTITY........

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i tinted my front door house windows with limo-tint.
basically, i used a decent amount of windex to keep the tint from sticking while i was moving it around, spraying the glass first. when it's in place, i used a playing card as a sqeegy(sp) to push the bubbles out. it takes A LOT of time, but it looks fairly professional.
good luck!

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used this concentrate solution that is specially for window tint. i bet it is the same as windex but i am not sure how well windex works with tint.
to get the peice to shape i sprayed the solution on the outside of the window i was working on. then i put the sheet up to the window and took a razor around the edges. then i cleaned the inside of the glass as best as i could. it is crucial the glass is as clean as possible. then i peeled the back off very slowly and as i did this i sprayed the solution on the sticky side of the tint. this seemed like it helped the tint peel off the backing easier. then i sprayed the solution on the inside of the glass and stuck the sucker on. position in place and then take a small squeegee to it. i used a credit card for small bubbles near the edges. hope this helps, i only spent about 35 bucks and it looks decent, but not professional.

and don't roll your windows down for a few days lol. good luck

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by getjobdone:
i used this concentrate solution that is specially for window tint. i bet it is the same as windex but i am not sure how well windex works with tint.
to get the peice to shape i sprayed the solution on the outside of the window i was working on. then i put the sheet up to the window and took a razor around the edges. then i cleaned the inside of the glass as best as i could. it is crucial the glass is as clean as possible. then i peeled the back off very slowly and as i did this i sprayed the solution on the sticky side of the tint. this seemed like it helped the tint peel off the backing easier. then i sprayed the solution on the inside of the glass and stuck the sucker on. position in place and then take a small squeegee to it. i used a credit card for small bubbles near the edges. hope this helps, i only spent about 35 bucks and it looks decent, but not professional.

and don't roll your windows down for a few days lol. good luck

[patriot] darn it...i should of used a credit card!

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by castor:

Exactly! Take your credit card down to the tint shop and get it done right! [Big Grin]

Just kidding. I did the windows in my old GTi way back when pretty much the same as the two examples above. Took a few tries to get it right and more than a couple trips to get more tint material. But it finally came out satisfactorily and the price was right. Of course I actually removed all the glass to do it so I made it a bit harder (though some may say easier) on myself.

Just recently I had all 5 windows (7 if you count the little wing windows in back) on my Honda Accord done at a shop for $200. Worth every penny.

Edit: double checked my paperwork and I paid $289.

[ June 01, 2005, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Sean90GT ]

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sean90GT:
quote:
Originally posted by castor:

Exactly! Take your credit card down to the tint shop and get it done right! [Big Grin]

Just kidding. I did the windows in my old GTi way back when pretty much the same as the two examples above. Took a few tries to get it right and more than a couple trips to get more tint material. But it finally came out satisfactorily and the price was right. Of course I actually removed all the glass to do it so I made it a bit harder (though some may say easier) on myself.

Just recently I had all 5 windows (7 if you count the little wing windows in back) on my Honda Accord done at a shop for $200. Worth every penny.

Sean, where did you get your tint done? Do you have a phone number for them? Mr. Tint quoted me 200 just for the rear window and the two quarter windows.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont use windex on tint, you will ruin it for sure. I was told by a pro to use water with a little bit of baby shampoo to position it correctly. I watched him do my car and it turned out perfect. He even did my back window on my hatch with one piece. Oh yeah, use good tint or it looks like crap too. good luck [patriot]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to my friend shop, it's called best image, they have been doing this for years, if u tell them that i send u they will charged u between $120-$140 and trust me u will be happy.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com