Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Moser 31 spline users need help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Moser 31 spline users need help
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just purchased 31 spline axles, and a spool. Is anyone else running this set up? If so, did you have to get special bearings, or did the ones on the stock housing work? thanks.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will need a 31spline posi or spool. The stock 28spline Trac Lock wont work

--------------------
RACETUNE
2003 Torch Red Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports Suspension, Exhaust, 4:10's
12.9@105mph 1.88 60ft

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1WICKEDmach:
You will need a 31spline posi or spool. The stock 28spline Trac Lock wont work

purchased a spool as well, wanted to know if i need special bearings.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Glenn i don't think we got our bearings changed when we put 31 spline axles in and a spool. We took it to Rearend Specialties though.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with the spool you will need c clip elims to hold the axles in, the spool will not have provisions for c clips

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
with the spool you will need c clip elims to hold the axles in, the spool will not have provisions for c clips

Have that as well, so is that pretty much it? I can re-use the bearings on the housing?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:

Have that as well, so is that pretty much it? I can re-use the bearings on the housing?
You might need to do some metal work to fit the cclips. I don't know what they ground down on my dad's car might have been the brake mount or something but they had to use a mill to get it to fit correctly.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
Just purchased 31 spline axles, and a spool. Is anyone else running this set up? If so, did you have to get special bearings, or did the ones on the stock housing work? thanks.

The stock housing bearings work with the spool. You might be better off just getting new bearings from Ford because removing the bearing on your current housing can be tricky. If you get them off without busting them then they can be reused.

On Fox body cars with factory rear brakes there is no modification necessary to fit the eliminators. You might want to install some modified factory axle seals in the housing ends to prevent leaks though. I can send you a photo of the required seal modification if you are interested.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
The stock housing bearings work with the spool. You might be better off just getting new bearings from Ford because removing the bearing on your current housing can be tricky. If you get them off without busting them then they can be reused.

On Fox body cars with factory rear brakes there is no modification necessary to fit the eliminators. You might want to install some modified factory axle seals in the housing ends to prevent leaks though. I can send you a photo of the required seal modification if you are interested.

yes please send photos, it is for a fox body, also rear end specialties said they had to grind down something, did you have to John?
pics: calairo15@yahoo.com

[ June 01, 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Email sent.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com