Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1984 carb motor

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1984 carb motor
marc
¯
Member # 4238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for marc  Ford pictures for marc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my engine is running like Sh!t what should i go about doing to freshen it up without rebuilding it. (IE... plugs and what not)
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, set the timing...

Hopefully that helps [patriot]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the carb and make sure to choke is opening all the way!
Also you might want to rebuild the carb if it has sat awhile.
What does it do?

marc
¯
Member # 4238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for marc  Ford pictures for marc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i think i want to rebuild the carb pm me with some tips if you could h8louzn

Well it was a car out in a field and the people said it had a bad starter but it just needed some fuel on the jets to kick it over when i romp on the throttle it picks up but just feels like it tops out and turns sluggish

marc
¯
Member # 4238

PS---> The choke is permently held open because the lever broke if that helps
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start with a tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, points, wires, fuel filter, etc) and be sure to change the fuel filter. Also, try adjusting the carb mixture and idle screws and see if you can dial it in.

If you have the money buy a new carb instead of rebuilding. You won't regret it. [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can't adjust those!
Well you can if you know where to drill.
That is the problem with older carbed fords.
They run lean which is the reason they are hard to get passed at smog time.
If I were you I would find a nice edelbrock or carter and throw it on until smog time.
Have you got it smoged yet?

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by h8louzn:
You can't adjust those!
Well you can if you know where to drill.
That is the problem with older carbed fords.
They run lean which is the reason they are hard to get passed at smog time.
If I were you I would find a nice edelbrock or carter and throw it on until smog time.
Have you got it smoged yet?

Ahhhh, I had this issue with my 81 Plymouth Champ (yes I am ashamed to admit I ever owned one of these things but hey, it was my 1st car). The adjustment screws are sealed from the factory ot prevent anyone from fucking with them.

I had mine drilled out and was able to adjust the carb. I would suggest doing the same thing. I could never get the POS to pass w/o adjusting it.

Are there any CARB legal aftermaket carbs?

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
marc
¯
Member # 4238

well i just bought the car and it is on a non-op so i am restoring it and hoping to get it to a smog shop asap so i can start doing some mods. It is running straight from the heads so i need a whole exhaust system.

So what should i do about my carb. one time when i was trying to start it it shot up a fireball. what does this mean?

What should my next steps be to get it working better.

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you have to do a little wrenching to narrow down the problem. Vacuum lines all hooked up? Any gasket leaks? Spray some carb cleaner around the manifold and see if the idle speed changes. What's it timed at? Are the secondaries closed all the way? How do the spark plugs look? If the car has been sitting for a while, you MUST at least replace the accelerator pump gaskets. Sitting just for a few months can cause those gaskets to dry out and leak fuel. The 83-85 is known for a few engine fires because of this.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

There is not a carb the is (CARB) legal that I know of.
If you drill the screws out to adjust them you will have to fill them before smog. If not they will fail it right away.
Check e-bay and foureyedpride.com
There should be some rebuild kits or maybe someone has an extra carb that works better than yours.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com