Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » BIG oil pressure problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: BIG oil pressure problem
90hogg
¯
Member # 5313

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90hogg  Ford pictures for 90hogg    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Engine has less than 3k but Im on my third oil pump. After about 1000 miles it loses pressure at idle. Hit the gas and it goes up and back down. Ive had 2 melling hv pumps and now the fms one. All did the same thing. Please help.
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like an internal problem, like bearings maybe...I would pull the motor and check it out.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
90hogg
¯
Member # 5313

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90hogg  Ford pictures for 90hogg    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could this have been a bad install? Dss 347 kit bored 40 in fms block.
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How does the oil look?? is there any metal in it, or at the bottom of the pan?

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After 3 pumps, I'd say it's not a pump. [Wink]

Pull the engine, check the #5 main and #4/#8 rod bearings. If they look good, pull the cam and check those bearings. What were the clearances when the engine was assembled? Please say someone checked them...and didn't just put it together...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
90hogg
¯
Member # 5313

I will check the oil and ask the installer if he checked the clearances. Thanx for the input thus far.
90hogg
¯
Member # 5313

Nothing in the oil and the installer said he clearanced eveything. May have to pull the engine and check those bearings.
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

quote:
Originally posted by 90hogg:
May have to pull the engine and check those bearings.

Thats what I would do, GOODLUCK [patriot]

[ May 24, 2005, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: SilverLX351 ]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are the pressures your getting??? Are you sure about the galley pulg at the back of the lifter valley?

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have a hardened oil pump shaft? maybe something is binding and breaking your oil pumps

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

93LX342
¯
Member # 1793

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93LX342  Ford pictures for 93LX342    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oil pump drive shaft may be to long forcing it to grind into baseplate of pump which will cause the pump to work less efficiently.

--------------------
06 f250 superduty with some mods.
95 f250
www.unlimitedracing.com

90hogg
¯
Member # 5313

I do have an ARP hardened shaft. Should I change it because it may be too long?
93LX342
¯
Member # 1793

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93LX342  Ford pictures for 93LX342    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just put distributor in and look at where it meets the block.if it is not seating all the way the shaft may be to long and causing the problem.

--------------------
06 f250 superduty with some mods.
95 f250
www.unlimitedracing.com

90hogg
¯
Member # 5313

Pulled the k-member and the pan. Pan had metal bits in it. The #4 and #8 rod bearings were damaged. Im going to replace the pump and the rod and main bearings. Should this get rid of my problem?
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

Pull the engine, check the #5 main and #4/#8 rod bearings.

[worship]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

Pull the engine, check the #5 main and #4/#8 rod bearings.

[worship]
i agree [patriot] [worship]

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
90hogg
¯
Member # 5313

The number 3 main bearing was shot and the number 4/8 rod bearings were damaged, crank also had damage. The oil pump also had shavings from the bearings inside it. Can anyone tell me what caused this. And what to do so this problem is resolved. My installer replaced the pump, bearings and the crank with new ones. I just dont want to go through this Sh*t again.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What caused it? 1 of 3 things...
1. Your installer did not check thrust clearances or crank clearances.
2. You bought REALLY CHEAP bearings...
or 3. You beat the beeee-jeeeezus outta it.

I hope he completely tore down that block and hot-tanked it, as well as replacing the cam bearings. In not, you're asking for trouble. [Frown]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com