Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » intake butterfly on cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: intake butterfly on cobra
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
doing a port job on my intake runners. We were talking about taking the butterflys out and welding up the little holes. has anyone done this, and if so was there any problems at low rpms. this is not a daily driver so not worried about gas.
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69DodgeCharger  Ford pictures for 69DodgeCharger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you are refering to the imrc's correct? If your car is NA, then I would leave them. They are usually removed on supercharged cars that dont need the low end torque that the irmc's make. To make it simple, your car will make a more power up to with the imrc's removed, but you will lose low end torque. Mine are removed, but my car is supercharged with lots of boost!

--------------------
I do installs and vehicle transport
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T
496 big block, TKO, Dana 60

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you decide to weld them bolt them to a plate of steel you will warp them.. I have a set of i.m.r.c deletes at the shop just sitting there I epoxied them up you really have to be careful when you epoxy them on the alum ones since they expand under heat and the epoxy will fall out of the hole and into you motor. What exactly are you doing to the intake ? just port matching the ports probably wont do a whole bunch for you.
I do shortrunner intake and have seen anywhere from 15-50 rwhp gains that is hands down the way to go if you are gonna do any type of intake modifacation..

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 69DodgeCharger:
you are refering to the imrc's correct?

I thought those were an 98 exclusive item? [Confused]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69DodgeCharger  Ford pictures for 69DodgeCharger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:
Originally posted by 69DodgeCharger:
you are refering to the imrc's correct?

I thought those were an 98 exclusive item? [Confused]
no there a 96-98 exclusive item [Big Grin]

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually the IMRC's are 93-98 exclusive, the 93 Mark VIII was the 1st to use them. The 98 Cobra has the plastic IMRCs versus the aluminum ones of earlier years which is apparently better for heat transfer. Ford Racing used to make IMRC delete plates but not anymore.
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
. What exactly are you doing to the intake ? just port matching the ports probably wont do a whole bunch for you.
I do shortrunner intake and have seen anywhere from 15-50 rwhp gains that is hands down the way to go if you are gonna do any type of intake modifacation.. [/QB][/QUOTE]
i was just going to port match the intake. got a new friend thats hooking me up with everthing but what where you talking about shortrunner intake. are you talking about taking out the tubing in the intake?

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We re-do the entire intake from head to toe.. And yes we pull out the runners and shorten them.. A buddy of mine did a few and I did some port work on them but I will be doing complete fabrication myself now..  -

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
408 986 8626

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

are they welded or glued inand how much do you cut or how much you charge to do that.
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Some is welded and some is epoxied all the bell ends are rewelled back on..As for length I cant give an exact length since each runne is differnt in size some are longer that others..Plus it is a anchient chinese secret lol J/k Charger has one of the intakes and a set of my heads going on his beast you can ask him of the quility of the work..Price can ary from 700-1000 bucks there are a few companys doing intakes for the 96-98 stuff..

--------------------
408 986 8626

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

that price is insane just for an intake. but if its a lot of work i can understand why so i would be looking at 15hp on n/a and 50 on supercharge.
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

We made a base 0f 286 on a stock longblock on jimmys car with a stock intake this is a full bolt on car after a few changes with a ported shorty intake the on in the pic above and a manual rack swap the car now makes 326 rwhp and runs 11.3 @ 120.1 on the stock long block. The price is actually about 3-500 dollars cheaper then anyone else on the market. Imo there s nothing that is cheap for a 4v car lol..if you have the lower already port matched that would be deducted of the price but when you open up one of these and and see how little porting actually was done compared to what can be done when it is opened up you may think twice..

--------------------
408 986 8626

69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

you will see more than a 15HP gain with one of those intakes. The most restrictive part of B-headed 4v's is the intake, they are a horrable design, but you got to work with what you got since there is only one aftermarket intake for b-headed cars. Its made by HCI and goes for $1,200, however on a N/A car an intake from norcalcobra would be better, he does top notch work!

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

thanks for all the info. It has help alot. norcalcobra if you could give me a call that would be great i would like to come by and talk to you some more about the intake 408-449-3319 Jacob
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much if I bring I bring you just the runners?

--------------------
Bring It . . .

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com